Why train as a DiveMaster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're lucky to have a place like that. Try a typical internship in asia, the med and so on. Filling tanks on the 3am to 5am shift in a boiling hot, poorly ventilated shed knowing you have to be back in work for 8.30 to start try dives. Its not as much fun!

I've heard the horror stories and I don't have to go too far, just right here in the Keys!:D

I realize this is not the norm, but you can have a good internship if you search around.

The pupose of the dive master is to supply dive shops with a supply of willing and motivated zero pay laborers to take all the risk exposure and run the cash treadmill and do all of the heavy lifiting, sweep the shop, wash the boat down, clean up the puke etc.

N

Precisely! After 6 months of dragging twenty or so tanks twice a week IN MY VEHICLE, to the local Y. Training students for 2-3 hours - then carting the equipment back to the shop again. Advising students to buy "shopsold" gear and other delightful activities - I decided that this was not for me. All this for no pay and discounts that never came close to LP's list prices, I let my insurance lapse and just dive. Much more fun.

Sounds like some horror stories out there from previous DMs etc. The "dive mule" style of internship has got to die a death - it actually perpetuates itself, and is not good for the industry.

If you shop around, you will be able to find a good DM course that will help you learn heaps. I agree that the main (only?) reason is if you are wanting to work as a professional diver. Being a DM is often a pre-requisite for commercial diver training in some parts of the world, so it's not just about assisting courses etc.

I'm going to wave the flag for our DM programme. Our DMTs get a lot more than free fills, don't spend time humping tanks, don't pay for travel to the dive sites and are valued members of the team.... and most importantly get more than minimal "read the book, do the knowledge review and sit the exam" training. Access to good instructors is the key.

Sounds like some horror stories out there from previous DMs etc. The "dive mule" style of internship has got to die a death - it actually perpetuates itself, and is not good for the industry.

It's gonna take a lot to get that to change. Not too different than the residency that medical students have to go through. It wont change because those that went though it expect those coming up to have to do the same.

"I did it, now so do you."

Also look at the economics. As an industry, I think that recreational SCUBA is second in frugality to recreational sailors. LDSs and resorts need to make money. The indentured servitude of the DM is one place where they can have a lower COO.

So to the OP. Get advanced training. If you want to be a DM out of the goodness of your heart, find a place like the YMCA or a youth camp where you can donate your time and get a warm fuzzy feeling instead of a bitter cold feeling from some place that puts as much value on you as they do the barnacles on the dive boat that they refuse to scrape off because it costs too much to do so.

Blister

If you shop around, you will be able to find a good DM course that will help you learn heaps. I agree that the main (only?) reason is if you are wanting to work as a professional diver. Being a DM is often a pre-requisite for commercial diver training in some parts of the world, so it's not just about assisting courses etc.

I'm going to wave the flag for our DM programme. Our DMTs get a lot more than free fills, don't spend time humping tanks, don't pay for travel to the dive sites and are valued members of the team.... and most importantly get more than minimal "read the book, do the knowledge review and sit the exam" training. Access to good instructors is the key.

Thanks Andy. Its good to hear the positives also.

Im not sure it will die a death. Its great for the business involved - they get 3 or 4 free slaves to work for the entire season. Thats 3 or 4 salaries they dont have to pay out on. There are no shortage of people who are prepared to work like that in a foreign country for a few months with no pay so no shortage of new DMTs to do that job.

Being a DM had a huge effect on my skills. It wasn't the training; it was the amount of time I spent in the water. Pools and ponds may not be exciting but it is lots of diving. Yes I hauled lots of gear. I still do. But I have a lot better skills than I did before I started. Of course, I cannot fix a dive boat yet.

The dive mule will die the same death as the poorly paid musician- long, drawn out, and eternal...there will always be someone willing to 'lend a hand', thinking that it will endear them to the shop, or it gives me free- exposure, dives, publicity, a chance for more diving, you name it. I really don't care that I lumped the gear, or I have to clean the head after a good day at sea. For me, yep, I get a lot of dives I wouldn't normally, doing things most people will never do. I have played council, hero, and scrubber in the same day. I have been sent to rescue an unconcious diver from another boat (directly after we pulled one of our own back to the line, so the adreniline was high) only to get close enough that the bird took off, lol. I love my experiences and group more than anything, its just awesome. But, I have seen people get into it, realize it is not for them, and not understand they can quit the program. My wife is also a DM, she loves taking newer divers around. She likes doing the discover local off the boat. She looks at me like I am psycho when I plunge to the seabed anchor in hand, or go grab someone that has missed the lines. One of my best friends only DMs for instructors. He absolutely loves the kids camp, and helping the adults the rest of the year. So, if you can find the nich, you will never be happier. If you don't want to do blank, figure out a way around it. Just my 2 psi
-J

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom