why tip by percentage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa:
we had the shocker the other day....we went to this breakfast place, the food wasn't the greatest, the service so so. We got the bill and the suggested tip amount was written on the bottom. My husband puts a 20 on the tray expect x amount as change....surprise, surprise - they just took the suggested tip with out blinking an eye.

How obnoxious. What's the place?

Did you ask for your change back (including the tip amount)?

biscuit7:
Where do you think the difference is? In some cases it's the kitchen timing the meal, but really only in fine dining establishments. In a lot of cases that's your server busting his/her butt to give you a good dining experience. A tip is a thank you for a great meal. It doesn't matter if you had the cheeseburgers or the three-course meal. If you enjoyed yourself, TIP!!!

R

Ok, good point. But it is not rocket science. No disrespect here. It is hard work, but I do not have to be thankful that the server actually manages to get out everything at the right time, I expect that from any restaurant...that is what a restaurant is. The other thing is take out or fast food. there I expect everything at once all piled on top of itself.

Being a good server is not about bringing the food out in the right order to the right person and filling up drinks. That is a given. Being a good server is noticing the customer quickly when he wants something else, is curteous, respectful, tactful and is only there when you need him/her. Then I leave a big tip.
I do not leave big tip if I have to say "wow, they managed not to drop the food in my lap. Well that's a plus".

I've found that tipping can be the best money I've ever spent. My wife and I go out to eat pretty often and we tend to go back to the same places. You can tip $4.50 on a $30 meal or, for an extra buck-fifty (assuming that you got good service) and a smile you can make a gigantic impression (I tend to tip even more for small meals or split meals). I don't know how many waiters/waitresses, now, deliver my preferred beverage *as* I'm being seated, know exactly what I like to eat and drink with all my little hold-the-mayo/ add-a-squeeze-of-lime-to-my-diet-coke adjustments, and provide a suite of little extras. I eat at one dinner house where the owner/server brings samplers of any new rum that they get -- gratis. I know several waitresses who regularly comp our salads or sodas and ice teas. I've even had entire meals comped. All that for a smile, repeat business, and a dollar or two of extra tip money. To me, it seems silly *not* to tip really well when you get good service.

Of course, I tip very badly for bad service. That also has the desired effect: those servers don't want me as their customer (but the good ones do).

Laguna Beach!!! Probably some of the best service anywhere. Sorrento Grill, 5 ft, I would be willing to tip with vigor too.

oh...forgot my homesick smiley. :light:

There are certainly different ways to look at it. Two of them are: 1) are the servers earning the money I'm giving them and 2) am I getting anything for my money.

Looking at 1) I've done rocket science and I've waited tables. I think waiting tables is much harder, in a lot of ways, to do well. There is a physical aspect that you'd not expect. There's a time pressure that requires precise multi-tasking. And then, there's trying to make everyone happy. In engineering, people not being happy is a given -- you don't even have to worry about it 8o).

Looking at 2) I think my earlier post explains why I think there's a wonderful return on investment for tipping well. But that's just me -- I could be horribly wrong...

:wink: That's one of my favorites! Though, I can't afford to eat in town all that often *and* dive...

What I think many people fail to notice is that excellent service should be rather invisible. If you have to look around for your server, or if your server is in your face the whole time, you notice that. A truly excellent server is right there when you need him/her and just NOT when you don't. It's both sides that make the experience.

It should be pretty obvious by now that I worked in hospitality for a long time. Once I'd worked my way up (yes, there is a hierarchy) to the better establishments, I did expect to make more money. I also worked harder for my guests and acted as an intermediary between them and the kitchen.

You should expect the food to come out right and on time, that's good service. Your drink should never be empty, that's good service. You should expect to enjoy your meal in peace, that's good service. All those things rolled together should leave you walking away feeling good, that's my only point. I'll shut up now.

Rachel

chepar:
How obnoxious. What's the place?

Did you ask for your change back (including the tip amount)?

the place is called "Seaside Bar & Grill" on Kuhio (below Angles)

We didn't ask for the money back. Roger and I are reviewing many of the restaurnts in our area and are putting together a recommened/not recommended list which we will post on our website and pass out flyers to our guests. Guess which list they will be on?:shakehead

The only reason there's so much tipping going on in this country is because that's how we all grew up. Now if I grew up in another country where there's no such thing as tipping anyone for doing their job, I would never tip. I expect workers to do their job. Keeping my water glass filled IS their job. Checking back with me, IS their job. If their boss can't afford to compensate them for being a good worker, then they should go work for someone else who compensates them well. Its not my job as a customer to give them a promotion so why should it be up to me to pay them? The restaurant owner AND myself are paying this employee.
I order a salad, lobster, and a coke. $25. The other table orders a salad, chicken, and a coke. $12. We both received the same level of service....Why on earth should I give the waiter a bigger tip than the other table did when we both received the same level of service? The restaurant already made more money off of me than they did from Mr chicken.
Does anyone understand that I'm against tipping by percentage? I buy an expensive meal and therefore my tip has to be bigger than the guy who spent less money than I did. If tipping has to be mandatory because the management won't pay the workers a good salary then let it be a flat fee tip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom