why tip by percentage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

all4scuba05

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok. I order $24 worth of food. Next table orders $70 worth. 2 people at my table and 2 people at other table. Both served by the same waiter. Both table feel waiter did a decent job. It's time to tip.
Now why should the other table have to tip more than I when we both received the same quality service? I don't agree with the way tips are calculated. It shouldn't be by percentage. It should always be by flat rate. Just because other table bought more expensive plates doesn't mean waiter deserves more tip.

I tend to agree, but I'm not going to tip $12 on a $25 tab. It I tip less than that on a $75 tab then I better not show up at that restaurant again.

I hate the whole thing. People feel intimidated to tip a certain percentage even if the service is mediocre at best. Why doesn't the restaurant owner pay the staff? Next thing I'm going to have to contribute to the server's 401K.

JimQPublic:
//snip//I hate the whole thing. People feel intimidated to tip a certain percentage even if the service is mediocre at best. Why doesn't the restaurant owner pay the staff? Next thing I'm going to have to contribute to the server's 401K.

Here here!

And why does that 'percentage' go up every few years? The cost of eating out is going up, so the tip is going up without increasing the percentage!

Ever notice that the places with the 'automatic gratuity' always have the worst service?

In Europe tipping is a lot less, usually 5% or less can be ok.
But then you don't get ice water for free but instead they serve some exotically bottled water which is very expensive.
Hmmm...I miss ice water at the table.

Lessee.... Table #1 orders 2 Diet Cokes and a couple cheeseburgers ($25 + $5 tip); Table #2 orders a pre-dinner drink, appetizer, entrees that include salads and a glass of wine each ($70 + $14 tip). Both tables have prompt courteous service. Which table did the server work harder for? I can tell you, getting a coursed meal out with a nice wine pairing takes a lot more work and expertise than keeping sodas full and a burger on the table as soon as it's done.

If you want the restauranteur to pay the staff so there's no tipping, expect all your meals to be more expensive and your service to suck. You can sample this by going to Europe. (No, I'm not slamming the European system, but when you go to areas where tipping has become more "done" the level of service improves dramatically.)

Rachel

biscuit7:
Lessee.... Table #1 orders 2 Diet Cokes and a couple cheeseburgers ($25 + $5 tip); Table #2 orders a pre-dinner drink, appetizer, entrees that include salads and a glass of wine each ($70 + $14 tip). Both tables have prompt courteous service. Which table did the server work harder for? I can tell you, getting a coursed meal out with a nice wine pairing takes a lot more work and expertise than keeping sodas full and a burger on the table as soon as it's done.

Lessee, that server is already making over twice as much on the second table. So what's your reasoning for increased percentages?

biscuit7:
If you want the restauranteur to pay the staff so there's no tipping, expect all your meals to be more expensive and your service to suck. You can sample this by going to Europe. (No, I'm not slamming the European system, but when you go to areas where tipping has become more "done" the level of service improves dramatically.)

Rachel

I've lived in or visited over 30 countries so far, and have to whole-heartidly disagree.

biscuit7:

Rachel

Lived in many countries, and have to say that I tend to agree that with better job security, higher salaries by the restaurant and less tipping by guests the service can turn bad. That is not to say that job security is a bad thing of course, not AT ALL. It is a very good thing. But I think in Europe, some waiters in average restaurants just earn quite well and don't really feel like doing a great job. This is just a trend I have observed. Of course in refined restaurants the service is also more refined that you might find in the US. More of a traditional etiquette maybe.

I think the fact that european servers come across as less good is more coupled to the less outgoing nature of Europeans.

But in general the "mood" in restaurants in Europe is more formal and less accomodating. Try dining out with young kids in Switzerland...not so easy. Possible, but not easy.
Go to a diner in the US and the kids get pampered.

Then of course there is no annoying server like I have had in the US that comes by every 3 seconds asking whether you are interested in more onion rings or a special cheeze sticks for only three dollars 99 on special offer. That is not good waiting. That is just trying to sell the guest things he does not want.

Regarding "service" I remember an "advert" once for Lufthansa compared with Cathay Pacific. It said that the "service on Lufthansa sucks, but then you crash less". Good things can be said for both systems.

But I really feel that Europe could do more in the "service" area. This applies to anything. Customer is king has mostly been forgotton in many places in Europe.

A.

I have followed my own code...

excellent service 10-15%

medium 5-10%

the waiter showed up to take order and put food down...drinks dry out and etc. I talk to manager and leave 3 pennies. that way they know i didn't like their service.

I've worked as a waiter and you learn to work for the tip. I've earned my tip and often places that include the tip in bill...rather be tipped by 6 tables of 2 than one group of 12.

you have to do what you feel is best.

O2BBubbleFree:
Lessee, that server is already making over twice as much on the second table. So what's your reasoning for increased percentages?

Three food courses, two beverage courses, and a more controlled guest experience. Yep, that's worth 3x the tip as the cheeseburger people.

Have you ever gone to a fine(r) dining establishment and had the server muck up the timing so bad that you had a zillion courses on the table at the same time? Had the soup show up before the appetizer? Have you ever had the appetizer then salad courses show up nicely only to wait 45 minutes for the entree? Ever had a crap wine pairing?

Compare that to a flawlessly executed dinner where everything showed up "right on time" and the dinner was a complete success.

Where do you think the difference is? In some cases it's the kitchen timing the meal, but really only in fine dining establishments. In a lot of cases that's your server busting his/her butt to give you a good dining experience. A tip is a thank you for a great meal. It doesn't matter if you had the cheeseburgers or the three-course meal. If you enjoyed yourself, TIP!!!

R

we had the shocker the other day....we went to this breakfast place, the food wasn't the greatest, the service so so. We got the bill and the suggested tip amount was written on the bottom. My husband puts a 20 on the tray expect x amount as change....surprise, surprise - they just took the suggested tip with out blinking an eye.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom