Why the SPG is clipped to the hip ring.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do not get me wrong :) I have no problem with clipping it off even in think dry gloves. (I have no experience doing it without the gloves to be honest as we always dive cold water here) I can do it easy, Some discomfort comes when the stages gets empty and floats up so I need to push them aside to get to the ring :) So I was wondering what the reasoning was for having it set that way and advantages/disadvantages of the other methods :)

I agree. A little practice goes a long way. Before you know it, the action becomes automated and effortless.

To help, I wrote a little How to Clip the SPG to the Hip D-Ring article.

spg_boltsnap_dir.jpg

Don I pretty much hold it close to what you are showing on your pics except I place my ring finger on the other side of the cave line attachment, and I believe I do not use my pinky.

The only two compelling reasons I've seen mentioned is to reduce the possible strain on the HP hose and so that there is a specific standard. The routing to the hip D-ring requires less bending of the hose when under pressure, so could extend the hose life. That said, the same poster to claim that (on a different forum) also supports bending 6" HP hoses 180 degrees around so they are easier to see on stages. Shouldn't a deco /stage SPG be less important to read since you are using it at specific depths & times thus you should have a better idea of your gas usage? Wouldn't a 6" hose last longer straight by the same argument?

I guess I'm skeptical of the reasons about cluttering the shoulder D-ring. How is the hip D-ring less cluttered? You will still have as many bottles clipped to both. The only difference that comes to mind is the backup light on the shoulder D-ring. But I'm not yet DIR, so I'd just add a second shoulder/chest D-ring to better manage the gear needed for such a dive.

Shouldn't a deco /stage SPG be less important to read since you are using it at specific depths & times thus you should have a better idea of your gas usage?

For one thing, during gas switches, being able to see the deco SPG while both hands are occupied is an important part of a procedure that is designed to prevent you from becoming dead.

Don I pretty much hold it close to what you are showing on your pics except I place my ring finger on the other side of the cave line attachment, and I believe I do not use my pinky.

That definitely works, pinky not necessary :)

The biggest help is using your index finger as a guide to the D-ring.

Could you explain why? If it has to do with a tank being empty, then you have already screwed up.

With multiple bottles, the concern is deploying the correct regulator from the correct tank. One (of the several) way to quickly check this is that purging the second stage with the hose pressurized (but tank valve off) should show a drop in the SPG.

But, as you know, before any gas switch is complete, both the diver and the team have verified the MOD against the current depth.

Makes sense. I haven't had a DIR course with multiple bottles. I've stuck to following the hose with my hand from second stage to the bottle for my switches.

I guess I'm skeptical of the reasons about cluttering the shoulder D-ring. How is the hip D-ring less cluttered? You will still have as many bottles clipped to both. The only difference that comes to mind is the backup light on the shoulder D-ring. But I'm not yet DIR, so I'd just add a second shoulder/chest D-ring to better manage the gear needed for such a dive.

The entire chest area is your work area. As the result you want to keep it as clean and clutter free as possible.

Adding an SPG there, when not necessary, only makes things more complicated in the long run. As DIR-Atlanta wrote, the SPG functions more or less as a back-up. As such, putting in a less obtrusive place is ideal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom