Why the Red Sea have this name?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have dive with a lot of people, and I many of them asked me this question, to you the answer:-
There is many stores about this name the first story, in the ancient times at the pharos age was a famous historic writer from grace live in Egypt his name is Herodet, and one day he went to voyage to discover this see and when they was close to the shore he sow a lot of antis fish which have a red color, then he call it the red sea, the other story comes from Bedouins, they the original people in Sinai pensile and also along the coast of the red sea, if you visit the red sea before you will fined the mountains have red color, when it was rinse the water take this red sand to the sea and make it red this color could stay up to three weeks sometimes, that’s why they call it red sea , and the last story is from the scientists who study the red sea for along time, they say this name come from a phenomena that still occurs today, namely the recurring explosive growth of the blue alga, the chlorophyll of the blue alga is actually covered over by red-dish orange pigments, which make the water appear red rather rather than the expected blue-green

I have heard that the name of the sea may originate from the seasonal blooms of the red-coloured algae, but another explanation may comes from the Himyarite people, who are a local group whose own name means red.

BTW, both the Red Sea and the Persian Gulf, are both extensions of the Indian Ocean. The Persian Gulf has warmer water, because it only has an average depth of 200 feet. Officially it contains the world's warmest ocean water with a surface temperatures as high as 96 degrees F. Although not called a Sea by name, it does meet the definition in-that it's a division of an ocean that is partially enclosed by land. So technically, the Red Sea does not contain the world's warmest water. Just saying.

What kind of wild life is in the red sea? Is it beautiful? I'd love to know.

Back
Top Bottom