Why the hate/ridicule for split fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have used both so don't get worked up one way or another. Just prefer my Jetfins for the diving that I do.

Please Remember...

The Chairman's 5 rules to handle currents:
  1. Dodge
  2. Duck
  3. Dip
  4. Dive, and
  5. Dodge

Learn how to read currents and avoid them whenever possible using those five rules!

:D :D :D

That's a bold strategy, let's see how it works out for them.

Well obviously, I have not learned #1, 2, 3 nor 5 yet!

Please Remember...

The Chairman's 5 rules to handle currents:
  1. Dodge
  2. Duck
  3. Dip
  4. Dive, and
  5. Dodge

Learn how to read currents and avoid them whenever possible using those five rules!

:D :D :D

Gotta add a 6th rule...when in doubt...Scooter.

Gotta add a 6th rule...when in doubt...Scooter.
I don't own a scooter and neither do my students.

People think I like to stay next to the bottom to show off my trim and buoyancy. OK, there's no denying that, but it's also where the current is less. Is there a channel? You'll probably find me in it, letting the reef block all that current. Throughout the dive, I'm always looking for the lee side of everything. It comes with being a lazy diver. :D After all, it takes two to fight, so don't fight it and hide, hide, hide from the current whenever possible.

For those who haven't recognised it, that's from "Dodgeball" .

My instructor (later turned my regular dive buddy) simply took a knife to some regular paddle fins and made his own. He dove them for years and was obviously happy with it. He was several years my senior and it was b*tch to keep up with him especially in a current with the Cressi rondine I had at the time. In fact that was what eventually led me to change my fins. How easily he cruised along. Granted, his primary kick was flutter.
When I did change I didn't go the split route simply because I had read that it was difficult to do frog and back with them. I ended up getting some Sherwood Tridents instead.

Being able to read the water and pick the easiest path is certainly a useful skill. But in a discussion on fins, sidestepping it to say 'just avoid the current' does not say good things about the fins. For tanks, anyone can read the weight and volume of an AL63 and a twin 130, pause and conclude which suits them best to carry around. The middle of that range is harder, but at least the numbers are plain to see.

Descriptions of splits have a lot of easy effort in the copy. That is hard to judge, as is the effective results output side. So easy effort is a good sell. And finding the divers optimal 'care about kicking', strength, cost, and time to spend on this trade off might not happen. 'something better than bare feet that does not give discomfort' gets the diver at least naively satisfied, even if it is a bad version of split fins.

Two splits have been mentioned, Atomic, ~$200 that I see, and Scubapro, ~$120. Do people know the proportion of each in use? If the ScubaPro are 'less' effective and new divers choosing splits pick them for cost, that combination could easily lead to the impression. (new diver, less adept in water, wearing ineffective version of split fins)

I'm very late to the party here.

I'm of the anti-split fin sentiment. My reason is simple. I hate following divers using them due to the vortex. Yes, there are a few divers that can dive them properly without causing mini-sand tornados but those are few and far between. Even then, there can be obvious swirling without sand.

I'm not in the best position to point fingers, in that I've had to move to a "special fin" to deal with arthritis/bursitis and what have you.

I've also seen new divers in heavy splits suffering immense cramping. Those particular fins were just too heavy for the diver (s), not that the diver wasn't strong enough. At least once, the reason for wearing the splits is that they were a gift.

I remain wary. :cool:

Friends don't let friends wear Speedos or split fins. :wink:

All this noise about splits. Does anyone even sell them any more? I seldom see them for sale at a LDS.

All this noise about splits. Does anyone even sell them any more? I seldom see them for sale at a LDS.

Real world divers vs. SB divers...several fellow SB'ers reminded me those are 2 different realities:

atomic split buy at LeisurePro

scubapro split fins buy at LeisurePro

Look at the number of reviews.

And if you look at all fins filtered by "most reviewed", 3rd, 5th, and 10th place are splits. So yes, people are buying them.

Scuba Fins, Snorkeling Fins, Swim Fins buy at LeisurePro

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom