Why the hate/ridicule for split fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I read somewhere here that Force Fins was winding down their fin manufacturing operation? Or did I remember wrong?

I read somewhere here that Force Fins was winding down their fin manufacturing operation? Or did I remember wrong?

Nope. They reopened in Pennsylvania. I just hope they survive long enough for me to get new hockey fins.

Yes, have you tried the foils?

Nope. Waiting to see if I’m lucky enough to spend more $$$ on hockey fins. Maybe. Who knows?

I bought split fins nthe early 2000's and i loved them in local lakes. On those ocasions that one gets a little exuberant with a few kicks over a short period if time, the fins open up and reduce the thrust or perhaps opens up the fin blade to put a cap on the max thrust you can get. limit the thrust you limit the max power to use them and thus dont cramp your legs. I then went to coz and passed by a monster lobster and tried to swim back against the drift current to get the picture. I could not do it. I bought non splits and have never gone back again. I realized that if i had to oppose the current to get to my buddy even if he was close and could not it could become a tragic event. In those years of working on my ballanced rig, I found i could not swim up the weight of the rig again because of the limiting thrust caused by the splits. I had visoins of entering the water and blowing a wing and thus being then overweighted and no way to counter,,,,,, it would not be able to counter the weight with an equal amount of thrust to get me back up. In most conditions it would be no biggy you sink to the bottom deal with it and then surface with out some lead , equipment ect. but what if it was an ocean dive and I drifted past the drop point and was past the wall edge and bottom was 3000 ft. I made the personal decision not to use gear that had the potential of turning a diver controlled dive into a situational controlled dive. I bought mares quatros and a pair of jet fins and life has been good. After practicing contingency plans for that event I found a functional work around if i get stuck on the bottom. The gotcha is that its hard to invoke corrective actions when you are constantly clearing your ears.

I also tried a comparison of split vs non split when towing a buddy to shore. Splits are in the closet and I am hessitant to even give them away.

Last edited:
I had no idea there was hate for split fins... Lol.

I knew there was hate for jacket BCDs but I thought that was it....

Edit: apparently they aren't as efficient as paddle fins? Idk. I use them and they work great. One could reasonably assume that the hate for them is pretty much consolidated to this website considering the vast majority of people I see diving on the weekends (rec diving) are using split fins.
There’s hate for everything.
Jackets, back inflates, the wrong brand of BP/W, BP/W in general, certain wings, colors of any kind, snorkels, MOF, certain masks, wetsuits, drysuits, weightbelts, integrated weights, air 2’s, octo’s,
Tank bangers, BFK’s, sawed off steak knives, ankle weights, backmount, sidemount, and then the whole world of regulators opens up another epic debate.
You name it and there will be haters.

Jackets, back inflates, the wrong brand of BP/W, BP/W in general, certain wings, colors of any kind, snorkels, MOF, certain masks, wetsuits, drysuits, weightbelts, integrated weights, air 2’s, octo’s,
Tank bangers, BFK’s, sawed off steak knives, ankle weights, backmount, sidemount, and then the whole world of regulators opens up another epic debate.

DIR, computers vs brains, why using a SUUNTO computer means you'll have a 5 min dive, burning your mask, does it rain in Jan in Coz, is CA a communist country...

Hmmm...I don't remember but they were most likely Aqualungs as the Aggressor fleet is associated with that brand. He was a young strong man, which also made a difference I'm sure! :p The captain wore freediving fins.

My holy grail is your holy grail, but what is it? I wore Mares Excite Pros this time and couldn't keep up. That pair of fins also has a weird "snap" or "click" to it, which really bothers me. It's like I kicked some coral or another diver but it wasn't. It was the fins. I found out the Mares X-stream also does this so I know my mind is not playing tricks on me.

My Mares Xstremes don't do that.

It's not a hate thing, it's a disdain thing.:rofl3:

(Splitfins: "Just say no!")

Last edited:
Ok...but you’re aware that some owners have this happen...you participated in threads that mentioned that.

Yes, I am and yes, I have. I also have been diving with folks wearing Xstremes that haven't had complaint either. I'm not sure what the problem seems to be. I have Volos that I used before the Xstremes. Similar issues only with regard to cracking/breaking at the hinge. Mine had 100s of dives on them with no problem in that regard. Perhaps these issues onky apply to those fins rolling off the assembly belt on Monday mornings? Shrug

All that said, my first fins, pink Sherwood paddle fins are in pretty much the same shape and condition, barring some scratches, as when I first purchased them back when I was young and spry. Anyone want to be them off me?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom