Why the dislike of air integrated computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had nanny ops in the Keys check both computers and guages, especially in the upper Keys.

N

Yeah, I read both of his comments, and it's still nonsensical. Again, 'a minute of air per second' is a flawed method of measurement.

On second thought, without the second-order derivative: 1 minute ATR at 30m = 2 minutes ATR @ 10m. If you're coming up at .3m per second it'll take you 60 seconds to get from 30m to 10m. In those 60 seconds your ATR would (if it weren't for the 2nd rate of change: your breathing) grow from 1 minute to 2. Minutes per second.

If I understand this correctly you are saying that by diving the USN tables with their schedule of air decompression, you are able to do reasonably short deco stops on a dive in which you are not supposed to go into decompression, because the operator will not know you are going into decompression.

Did you ever consider that if there were any multilevel aspect to your dive whatsoever, if you were using a computer instead of the USN tables, your computer would probably not be in deco for the dive? If you are generally coming up at about the same time as the other divers on a trip, it may well be that you are the only one trying to get away with going into deco. The rest probably have plenty of NDL time on their computers, even though they did the same kind of dive you did.

I have never had a dive operator check my computer at the end of the dive. I am presently using a Petrel, and I have it in tech mode even on recreational dives. It gives me a short NDL because it considers it a deco dive if I have to do even a one minute stop before ascent. Technically, I go into deco on nearly every recreational dive, but it is all clear by the time I have done a standard 3 minute stop. Nobody checks.

No worries this has worked for me for many years. I'm not going into details, methods, conditions, etc., when I do this but suffice to say it has been highly successful for me with no DCS. Technically we all go into deco every time we dive, most times the recommended ascent rate is enough to off gas excess N safely.

I have never had a dive operator check my computer at the end of the dive.

This happened to us once... my club was doing the Vandenberg with a day boat out of Key West (I can't remember the operator), and member of one buddy team (who had two computers) went into deco on one of them. They both had cleared when she surfaced, but the crew grounded them both for the second dive.

Her buddy was an attorney who was not reluctant to make their case in strong terms! However, the case went to the court of appeals (the captain) who ruled against the divers, and they didn't get to do the second dive.

If her computers had cleared and showed no violation warnings at the surface, how did the boat staff know one of the computers went into deco? Did they actually enter into the logbook?

If her computers had cleared and showed no violation warnings at the surface, how did the boat staff know one of the computers went into deco? Did they actually enter into the logbook?

They actually did! The didn't do that for everyone, but I assume that they might have suspected it based on runtime.

Basically, their boat, their rules. Not the first time that I have heard about something like that happening. I mean, I guess the divers could have made a fuss and not let them look at their computers or something, but they didn't choose to do that at the time...

I have had nanny ops in the Keys check both computers and guages, especially in the upper Keys.

N
You need to get out to CA more.
On our boats they assume you're a trained thinking adult and you are completely in charge of your profiles, deco status, gas management, etc.
The only thing they ask is that you are back on the boat within the specified time and you don't kill yourself. Other than that the pools open...they'll let you dive any damn way you want...Use a full blown AI hoseless computer or a J-valve, both are fine. I have never seen them ask to see a computer, that is unheard of here.
They Also would have absolutely no problem with the new Kracken, You'd probably be the captains new Hero!
Kind of blows me away for California, but I see it as one last hidden gem of freedom in the state that invented nannyism. Quite an irony.
The only thing is it's cold water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom