Why Some Stay warmer than others

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bioprene! I LOVE that line and will steal it frequently. Thanks.

One of the obvious things is the surface area to volume ratio. Larger people will always have less surface area relative to volume through which to lose heat. Shape matters, too, and for the same reason. A 200 # person who is 5',2" will stay much warmer than a 200# person who is 6'2".

Those of us who are built more like marine mammals (aka lots of Bioprene) stay warmer, longer.

it is simple, one pees in their suit and the other doesn't.

Lots of factors, actually. Natural insulation plays a big role as does basic cold tolerance.

I think the major factor is what people call 'cold' as a sensation. After living in the tropics for a few years, I'm cold if the mercury dips below about 78 and put on a long sleeved t-shirt or sweatshirt. Anything below 75 and I'm in jeans and long sleeves. Plenty of people that live with much colder temperatures just don't perceive those temperatures as cool or cold.

In my experience, men are much more cold tolerant than women with skinny kids getting cold the fastest.

What matters is that you use the amount of exposure protection that keeps YOU comfortable and let everyone else do the same. It's not a contest :D

Rachel

im still wearing shorts when its in the 60s!

brett

Empirically I agree with the bioprene factor.

I just got off a 7-day liveaboard off GBR. I'm fairly skinny with little fat, and despite the 29-30 C water (85 F for Americans out there) I felt somewhat cold in a shortie 3mm wetsuit with no hoods or gloves, especially if the dive was longer than 60-70 mins.

On the other hand, I've seen some fellow divers with considerably higher BMIs dive only with swimming trunks, not even a rash vest to put on! Just looking at them made me shiver in my wetsuit. :cold:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom