why some people dont agree that dir is really dir

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
California Diver:
oops i messed up there, all you can do is bash me for grammar. you are the troller.
So your view is that DIR is wrong, because you can't afford a dry suit. Thanks for sharing. Is there any other point you'd care to discuss?

California Diver:
no thats not it at all. im just saying the extremely strict philosophy should have some leaniancy for different conditions.
FYI, it does. What is DIR for reef dives in the Caribbean is not the same as penetrating the Brittanic.

I'll tell you about my experience. I was apprehensive about DIR being a 'use this equipment or else..' thing. I spoke with the people in the shop and agreed to do the course with an open mind. Brought in the equipment I had and we went over it all during the course. I tried my equipment vs standardised. We did skills and other things and I could see the logic behind the way things are set up, standardised and how this could help in emergency scenarios. What did not fit that mindset, I got rid off, what did, I kept. The philosophy fits!

While we on one hand need to keep an open mind on the fact that not everyone can just keep buying gear, we should also keep an open mind on the fact that there is a lot that comes with uniform gear configurations and the reason why a specic piece of gear is there. It is not about gear. It is about a method that is supported by gear and configuration. Mind you I am not talking about brands, but about functionality. I gave the instructor a hard time,'proving' to me why this is this way and that is that way. Never did I hear anything close to ' because it is DIR'. I think this one of the reasons (I am just guessing here) why there seems to be a move away from 'Doing it Right'. Maybe it should be called DIOOW (Doing it one other way)

in the end we all want the same thing: dive and enjoy it. If we can do this in a safe way, then hey everyone is happy.

thanks you for your post. thats all im trying to say. i was not trying to say dir sucks this that and the other thing.

The core concepts are all pretty universal. Dive a balanced rig. Have good buddy skills. Practice emergency scenarios. Breathe the right gas.

How those concepts apply to California vs Florida vs Thailand vs Nova Scotia will be different, but it's really all the same with a different set of clothes.

jonnythan:
The core concepts are all pretty universal. Dive a balanced rig. Have good buddy skills. Practice emergency scenarios. Breathe the right gas.

How those concepts apply to California vs Florida vs Thailand vs Nova Scotia will be different, but it's really all the same with a different set of clothes.

In a nut shell it's risk management... If you don't have the tools to do the job safely do not do it! Diving isn't a "Do over" sport... there's little margin for error, what DIR is trying to teach us is that the hazards can be mitigated by Gear Standardization, Training and Fitness.

So can you dive steel doubles in a wetsuit? Yes

Is it wise in the DIR perspective? No

Are you taking a greater risk? That's for you to decide.

And as far as name calling remember what forum you posted in...

Ben_ca:
In a nut shell it's risk management... If you don't have the tools to do the job safely do not do it! Diving isn't a "Do over" sport... there's little margin for error, what DIR is trying to teach us is that the hazards can be mitigated by Gear Standardization, Training and Fitness.

So can you dive steel doubles in a wetsuit? Yes

Is it wise in the DIR perspective? No

Are you taking a greater risk? That's for you to decide.

And as far as name calling remember what forum you posted in...
Huh? What names did I call anyone?

jonnythan:
Huh? What names did I call anyone?

I don't think he was referring to you Jonny. I don't see that you've said anything at all out of line.

To all ... please don't take it amiss, but I did remove a few of the more off-color remarks, and responses to them. Just trying to maintain some civility.

There's still a chance for this topic to have some usefulness ... and I think most of those who've participated would genuinely like to see it.

Not trying to "censor" anyone ... but in retrospect I think you'll be better off trying to keep it civil and on topic.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

i am a graceful wombat

California Diver:
i am a graceful wombat
Is that a new species of troll?

On a more serious note, California Diver, you seem to have seized upon one statement that you disagree with and then rejected all the rest. Blindly rejected all of DIR is just as silly as blindly following DIR without understanding the reasons behind the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom