why so mean..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

my $.02
I bought a reg and first stage along with the SPG off ebay, my lds was fine with servicing it. Even tho he had serviced it, I still have some doubts about the purchase. I'd rather buy from my LDS, so that if I have questions or problems, I can get face to face with the person who sold it to me.
I recently purchased a new BC, I asked the owner of the LDS what brands he was able to get, told him I was looking at them online, but would purchase it from him, so he told me the brands he could get. I found the BC that I wanted, was priced at 499.00, called up the LDS, asked him about the same BC,, his price was 509.00. Thats where I bought it. First dive?? the inflator wouldnt shut off, called the LDS right then and there,, he told me what to do.. would online service been able to do that?? NOPE
I know I'm off the point of the OP, but there are more reasons to buy from the LDS than just price. If you have an LDS that you trust with training you how to stay alive under water, then you would probable trust them with your equipment as well??no?
This doesnt excuse a salesperson from being mean or rude. If they explain their position, service your equipment and gain your trust, your next purchase would more than likely be from them.
I wont shop from anywhere but my LDS now. I want him to stay open so that I can get air fills too, those are hard to come by online. Not to mention if I'm spending my dollars in his store, maybe he'll be spending his in mine.
Just my two cents

Oh I agree absolutely. If you are getting the service you deserve.. the shop deserves your business and loyalty. A few dollars don't mean as much to me as my life and loyalty.

Where that was lost was when I started feeling taken advantage of, taken for granted. I now take my regs for service where I feel it is safe to dive with them. I take my business to 3 different shops. I still give some business to the original shop but my total "loyalty" was theirs to lose and they did just that!

Oh I agree absolutely. If you are getting the service you deserve.. the shop deserves your business and loyalty. A few dollars don't mean as much to me as my life and loyalty.

Where that was lost was when I started feeling taken advantage of, taken for granted. I now take my regs for service where I feel it is safe to dive with them. I take my business to 3 different shops. I still give some business to the original shop but my total "loyalty" was theirs to lose and they did just that!

I agree with you too, If they made you feel taken for granted, and especially if you dont feel safe diving with them, then outa there you should go. My opinion is based on the excellent service I get from my LDS. My LDS isnt so local either tho, I have to drive 60 miles one way to get there, but he's the closest. Hope you have good luck with these other places. I dont think so much this is a shop local issue, more of a bad business issue. I have been self employed for the last 17 years, and I've found that you never knock the competition, and if you have the opportunity to fix something of the competitions that leaves you in the driver seat. Not all places operate this way.
they are usually the ones that go out of business tho, customer service is what its all about. Period.

I go to my local LDS and ask them to check it out for me they get so bent out of shape and become rude to me.....

He may be more mad at himself and others than you. The merchant may have bought into the SSI-Scubapro business system where he an exclusive provider of gear, training, travel, and service to you. It all revolves around his shop and products.

You did not do what he was led to expect.... get all-everything from him. The guys who sold him into the biz, said that was the norm, and you broke it. He probably feels he was duped.

Well some of the guys in the original shop are good so they still get some of my business.

Stu S you make a good point sometimes businesse owners feel like they have bought into something under false information. Scarey in these times trying to meet costs and so on.

Good interpersonal skills/ attitude are necessities of business but not everyone who gets in to business has them.... the old "The customer is always right" adage is hard to live by but still a good business approach.

It really doesn't sound to me like the OP was trying to rub it in about the deal he got. :idk: The LDS guy may have been having a bad day:idk: but unfortunately you can't afford that luxury in business

The fact of the matter is that there is no requirement to be a good businessperson to open a dive shop, just a passion for diving. And unfortunately this is exactly what you find at so many dive centers; owners who struggle with the concept of good customer service, recognition of the free market economy (which includes garage sales, Ebay and LeisurePro) and respect for the customers decision to pick and choose where they want to spend money on gear. Be happy for when you have the customer in your store, and don't berate them when thye go elsewhere or buy elsewhere - take that as a challenge to yourself to see what you can do better to help avoid that next time! This time has already passed, you can't go backwards, so work towards next time, and keep that customer relationship alive and healthy!

The fact of the matter is that there is no requirement to be a good businessperson to open a dive shop, just a passion for diving. And unfortunately this is exactly what you find at so many dive centers; owners who struggle with the concept of good customer service, recognition of the free market economy (which includes garage sales, Ebay and LeisurePro) and respect for the customers decision to pick and choose where they want to spend money on gear. Be happy for when you have the customer in your store, and don't berate them when thye go elsewhere or buy elsewhere - take that as a challenge to yourself to see what you can do better to help avoid that next time! This time has already passed, you can't go backwards, so work towards next time, and keep that customer relationship alive and healthy!

Man I think you could start a lucrative business going around helping dive shop operators turn their businesses around!

I'd send copies of your posts to a few dive shops but the funny thing is.. the ones who need to read them the most are the ones who "Don't believe in Forums":shakehead: I honestly wish you were close enough to throw you some of MY business!

Thanks for your post, and I encourage you to forward my post and information to anyone; I'll be glad to do anything to promote and grow the scuba industry. So many dive shop owners think their competitors are the other dive shops, and they spend an inordinate amount of time and negative energy trashing others. What they fail to see is the real competition, which is the myriad of entertainment opportunities that exist for divers to engage in, such as skiing, travel, and other sports and non-sports activities. This is where you need to set your sights, and ask yourself; "How can I make my shop and all it offers even more exciting to my clients, and help make diving and dive activities a higher priority for them?"

Thanks for your post, and I encourage you to forward my post and information to anyone; I'll be glad to do anything to promote and grow the scuba industry. So many dive shop owners think their competitors are the other dive shops, and they spend an inordinate amount of time and negative energy trashing others. What they fail to see is the real competition, which is the myriad of entertainment opportunities that exist for divers to engage in, such as skiing, travel, and other sports and non-sports activities. This is where you need to set your sights, and ask yourself; "How can I make my shop and all it offers even more exciting to my clients, and help make diving and dive activities a higher priority for them?"

I think I may just do that.. and I have thought of something I've been trying to buy here and can't find.....you may be able to help me with it.... I will send a PM

I love these posts.

Support your local business or you won't have any local businesses of any type.

Most shops are willing to work with you but the internet does not have the same costs of running a business with a store front. This is true of any business, not just dive shops.

I'd say 99% of the shops if not 100% of the shops will roll over backwards for you if you buy your gear from them.

Oh, and while you buy your gear on-line, get your rentals, your airfills and everything else on line too.

Is the $100-$200 you'll save worth walking into the shop and getting an on-the-spot "tweak" or quick look at a problem worth trading to you? If so, then go for it. I know that if I drop a few hundred dollards in a dive shop - any dive shop - I'm treated like gold, they usually know me by name, more willing to work out the next "deal" and more willing to spend TIME with me about a question - OR - Hit "submit" on your purchase (any purchase) and see if you get the same service.

Heck what about the shops we have bought in excess of $15.000 worth of gear still have little time for us... but they have gotten annoyed that we didn't buy are two sets of V'12''s from them. Recent dive computer purchases have been bought at two different shots who were prepared to service it. Conditioned business must still be earned... I have a feeling they think we either "can afford so it is n o big deal, or aren't going to be spending much.... make us feel welcome and give us good deals and you can shut out the competition... if they are not keep in that we will deal elsewhere.. and by the way i have never bought online... I would rather spent the dollars where they will service my gear and a few hundred dollars are less important that my life.

I did feel ripped off then another shop sold me the Wetsuit wash for 45 dollars less that we has been paying at our Original shop for the same brand for 4 years!.

Shops have to earn their business with attitude support and reasonable prices

Back
Top Bottom