Why so many casualties?

Why so many injured, lost or killed divers ?

• Too many divers do dive beyond their capabilities.

Votes: 57 47.1%
  • It's only the law of average ... More people diving, more accidents.

Votes: 38 31.4%
  • Shark, you're only seeing the dark side ... and here's my 2 cents.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • None of the above !

Votes: 24 19.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The US averages about 90 scuba diving deaths per year. This has been constant since at least 1994. The number of scuba divers has probably increased in that time period. From what I have read on this forum and others it seems to be the general opinion that basic instruction is not as comprehensive or demanding as it was in the past. This may be true. When I was in High School I was a lifeguard at the Pentagon Gym. I remember watching their final exam, which was a pool dive with your mask blacked out while the instructor free dove & pulled your equipment off; to pass you had to surface with all of it back on.

OTOH, my instructor in 1977 told us something like this " all you need to remember is to keep breathing and don't surface faster than your bubbles. If you stay within no-decompression limits that will keep you alive." For the first 15 years or so I was diving with a watch and a capillary depth gauge and never had a problem.

The biggest danger in Scuba Diving is not sharks, blue ring octopuses, or Humboldt squid; the biggest danger is stupidity. I know of several deaths in my local area where experienced and competent divers died because they broke a basic rule of diving, the same rules you learn in your basic scuba course. If your concerned about safety here is my advice: Dive within your limits, practice your skills and don't do nothin stupid!:no

I think it's caused by global warming. I'm not sure how, but according to the news, everything bad in the world these days is somehow related to global warming.

Don't be silly ... of course you know how ... all that melting polar ice means the dive sites are getting deeper ... ::11:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I think it's caused by global warming. I'm not sure how, but according to the news, everything bad in the world these days is somehow related to global warming.

Don't be silly ... of course you know how ... all that melting polar ice means the dive sites are getting deeper ... ::11:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

:rofl3: :rofl3: Sweet!

One choice that was missing from the poll: All of the above. That would be my choice.

I did not answer this poll Because
1. I am not yet certified
2. Too many variables to zero in on a fits all answer
3. all this reality talk scares me
4. If I don't push the envelope I wont get past this post
5. I cannot swim(i tread water)
6. narrowly viewed, you all have a valid opinion
7. ALL OF THE ABOVE
I agree diving has become a business, thus my problem deciding on equipment.
I still intend to do it, and those of you who make the most noise about how easy it is for me to get a cert are no doubt the one I will give the most attention:D
thank you in advance:wink:

We will never know. We will never know because accident reports are never released. We never get the facts. I suspect, but I obviously don't know, that the vast majority of diving accidents could be prevented if people received adequate training and practiced their skills often.

Well, certainly the agencies can put more info and tougher standards in their courses, and that if they did the number of divers involved in these accidents would be somewhat reduced.

Where I disagree is where you say "vast majority". Personally I think the vast majority of accidents and fatalities are caused by a lack of fitness.

Lets face it, people eat crap, drink like fish, many still smoke, and don't bother to exercise beyond walking from the kitchen to the tv to the bathroom.

Once or twice a year they cram themselves into tightfitting exposure suits, get overheated, strap on a bunch of weight, and go swimming, all the while eating even worse than normal and drinking probably a little more than ussual, hey, they are on vacation, why not?

IMO these things are already covered in class, but divers don't pay that much attention because heart attacks happen to other people, like their grandfathers.

I don't know if there are stats on this, but I would not be surprised to see that more than 50 or 60% of fatalities are in warm clear water, as opposed to NE or NW locales. Where the one trip wonders dive.

Where the one trip wonders dive.

now you are scaring me
The last thing i want is to spew forth this much money just to be an "also ran" stat.
So the water is cold! And dark! A 7mm suit and a light is supposed to fix that.

now you are scaring me
The last thing i want is to spew forth this much money just to be an "also ran" stat.
So the water is cold! And dark! A 7mm suit and a light is supposed to fix that.

I wouldn't worry about it ... you live in one of my all-time favorite dive locations. Heck, even what's lovingly referred to as your "local mudhole" (Vet's Park) is a wonderful dive.

You'll be fine ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

What is everybody's take on the subject ?

What else would some people here talk about when it isn't Caribbean Hurricane season?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom