Why SCUBA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cat

Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, technically, this is diving related and thus in the wrong forum. Activity on certain other threads is making me think we need a thread to talk about what we all have in common - not about our differences. So... why did you take up SCUBA diving and when? Highs and lows?
Imagine we're all sitting down around a fire on a beach somewhere after a long hard day of diving and Jello Twister... :D

cat once bubbled...
So... why did you take up SCUBA diving and when?

I have been fascinated with scuba diving almost all my life. I became certified 3 years ago, but I wish I had done it 20 years before.

When I was about 8 years old my mom got her OW and I fell in love with it then even though I had never breathed off of a cylinder or actually handled any gear I was hooked. When I was 12, the minimum age for PADI back then, I got my cert and have only become more and more enthusiastic :D =-) :D

Like most know I am just finishing my PADI but my friend took me out before and let me try his equipment. I was hooked from the first breath. Now I am really looking forward to the wreck dives and the wonderful people who are involved in the sport. Most of the people who are involved in scuba seem so friendly and open and that is another plus.

On my year in South East Asia, I had taken a mask and snorkel, even though I didn't know how to use them properly. then I put my head underwater... Stayed in the water for 4 hours (the worst sunburnt of my entire LIFE)... then URGED my mom to lend me some cash to take my OW...

Saw a turtle on the first dive....

Hooked.

I am a completely water person. Things like skydiving or climbing do not hook me much.
As for diving I believe the underwater world is the only place on earth where you feel that all 3 dimensions are available to you. It's like a different planet.
As well as I suppose underwater swimming is in our deep memory. Even Jacques Costeau said once that in the water (especially tropical) you feel like an embryo.
I can dive anytime anywhere in any conditions, be that rough weather, or the pool sessions with students, and enjoy that.

You know those times when you start waking up in the morning, but your not really awake. You're still dreaming, but there are certain things about yourself and/or your surroundings that you are aware of?

I had a re-occuring dream for as long as I could remember. I would find myself underwater and be fighting; holding my breath the whole time. I finally give up and take a breath... at this point in the dream I am extremely conscious of my breathing. I relax, and continue to breathe underwater. The dream is always so vivid at this point that it truely feels real.

Upon waking from these dreams, I find myself with an incredibly relaxed feeling to start the day off with.

I knew I was always meant to breathe underwater. It took years to actually make my dreams a reality; and it definately took some added enticement to get it done.

• I had a month off from work; so I had the free time.
  • I had a friend [bushman] who had been certified for many years but no one to dive with. He had a few lobster traps hung up on a local wreck; and needed to start salvaging his traps.
  • I had recently started getting my life back and starting to live again.
  • And of course, it was something to break up the boredom of a bad day of fishing! :)

Two years ago, at the ripening age of 48, I was talked into my free introductory scuba experience in the pool at the Iberostar in Cozumel. It fascinated me so the next day I took the resort course at Chankanaab park. That was amazing and hooked me. Came back here to Wisconsin, got certified and have been obsessed ever since. I, too, wished that I had discoved scuba years ago.

Spectre once bubbled...

I had a re-occuring dream for as long as I could remember. I would find myself underwater and be fighting; holding my breath the whole time. I finally give up and take a breath... at this point in the dream I am extremely conscious of my breathing. I relax, and continue to breathe underwater. The dream is always so vivid at this point that it truely feels real.

Upon waking from these dreams, I find myself with an incredibly relaxed feeling to start the day off with.

I hope you don't find yourself wet. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom