Why not two 7ft hoses when sidemount diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mainedvr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Not sidemount trained and well have zero experience so just asking a question. I see different ways of setting up sidemount regs, why not just use 2 seven foot hoses keeping them mostly stowed till need to deploy them for an air sharing exit ? Again, just curious.

I have 2x 5’hoses and left/right regs so that whichever I am breathing I can donate. Also obviates the hose crossing under issue.

I have two 7' hoses, but the left one stays on a bungee routed just like a short hose with no intention to donate. This allows more free movement of the tank than using a short hose. I suppose if the fan was really covered in brown, I could cut the bungee and donate it.

Donating from the left is about as clunky as unclipping the right side hose if you have the reg in a suicide strap. Most of us do because it's more comfortable and you always have your secondary where you know it is supposed to be, so it's not really much of an issue.
As I've grown as a diver and instructor I continually come across scenarios where donating out of the mouth isn't possible, so I try to find the least inconvenient way to approach it. On sidemount it's 50% of when I'm backgas which is workable. On CCR or double hose, I have to work with a completely different paradigm so you have to leverage what is the least bad option and in this case the long left hose doesn't really do anything for me so I don't bother with it

I have 2x 5’hoses and left/right regs so that whichever I am breathing I can donate. Also obviates the hose crossing under issue.
This.

do
how do you have them clipped off when not in use do you have them around the neck or tucked in to the bottle straps

Not sidemount trained and well have zero experience so just asking a question. I see different ways of setting up sidemount regs, why not just use 2 seven foot hoses keeping them mostly stowed till need to deploy them for an air sharing exit ? Again, just curious.
The best thing for you is to go to a highly respected cave instructor and take your Sidemount certification and Cavern Course. You will learn the real answers to your questions. For us to have a meaningful conversation about sidemount any why many things are done a very specific way will not translate well in print. Glad your asking the questions though.

do

how do you have them clipped off when not in use do you have them around the neck or tucked in to the bottle straps
I have them clipped off on their respective sides, straight up from the tanks and hose retainers. My shoulder d rings are quite high so I can breathe them even if they are clipped so if I donate from the mouth and flub the unclip I can still get gas till I get myself organised.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom