Why not S, M, L sized masks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rafaelaustin

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe an overasked question, but why don't the manufactures make masks of the same model fit different sized faces? Wouldn't it be possible to make slightly different sized silicone skirts for the frames to try and fit a wider diversity of head sizes? I have a large head so I've only found one or two that even come close to fitting and a good friend has a narrow face and she can never find a good fit either. I'd really like to see someone take one of their more popular lines of frames and fit them with small, medium and large sized skirts.

And how good is a review or recommendation if only one mask fits your face? As far as I'm concerned, all the "low volume" or "maximum visibility" design claims don't mean squat if it doesn't fit. All that R&D money is wasted as soon as I lay a mask on my face while I'm staring at the ceiling and there's a gap as big as goby on the side of my temple.

I don't really know but my quess would be that a persons head is a very personal thing. If a shirt is too large, no problem, it's just a bit baggie and life goes on. If your mask is too big, it's not such an easy fix. Face shapes come in many shapes and sizes and a mask doesn't simply drape over the face like a shirt or a jacket. Add to that noses, and other pieces that stick out and you have a fit issue that simply doesn't conform to s, m, and L. So, the manufacturers probably don't think it's worth it to try.

My wife has a thin face and always has issues with water leaking in. My nose is big and I really had to search for a mask that didn't press my shnoz in, lol. I feel your pain!

Just some guesses. Happy diving!

Hey guys,
Just an FYI, Mares has recently released a Mid sized skirt on the same frame as the very popular Mares XVision mask. Simply called the X-Vision mid. Definitely fits smaller and more narrow faces than the regular XVision.

Best Regards
Zak

Good to know as that is the exact mask my thin faced wife is having troubles with now!

Better to be ahead than behind.

Happy Diving,

Zak

Instead of the various size on one product line, they are manufacturing the various product line. Maybe, it helps the cost and inventory reduction....

Back
Top Bottom