Why no mooring buoys on wrecks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where can you buy a one piece non-folding grapnel anchor. I've done a google search and can only find the folding ones!

I've seen charter boats using them and they are VERY good at catching wrecks. The ones I've seen are made of a pliable metal which you bend back into place after retrieving them.

Where can you buy a one piece non-folding grapnel anchor. I've done a google search and can only find the folding ones!

I've seen charter boats using them and they are VERY good at catching wrecks. The ones I've seen are made of a pliable metal which you bend back into place after retrieving them.

Here's the real deal: Marpro Grapnel Anchors

Originally Posted by ReeferBen View Post
Hunter Anchors of Florida, sells one piece ones.

Really Expensive Anchors
Galvanized for $215?? They are clearly very proud of their product.

Lol, I dunno. I was looking at those prices thinking, man I really need to have my lift bag handy in case I find some anchors.

Lol, I dunno. I was looking at those prices thinking, man I really need to have my lift bag handy in case I find some anchors.
Well, sure - I found 2 last year -

In fact, Deepstops from time to time conducts seminars on the use of lift bags, and lift bag technology (sorry, inside joke, but he is really good at using the lift bag, which should be a part of almost every divers eq - really handy piece of gear and you can send the anchor up via lift vs taking it up yourself after the dive).

I've seen the one's with the flexible tines; never used them, although I can see the advantages.

Check West Marine for grapnels - I went on line and all they showed was the folding type (not the kind you want) but I know for a fact they had them at their Coral Gables location. So if you have a store near you, look and see if they have one.

Another source showing them on their web site is El Capitan - they can send it by mail so you don't have to make the trip to Miami:

www.elcapitan.com/about.html - Cached - Similar

PS The cost was under $80 so you don't need to spend a ton of money on these things - nor do you need a real heavy one - just needs to get down to the wreck in current - depending, I'd say 8lbs - 15 lbs at the top.

Last edited:
Today I found this anchor at Marine Surplus. It's an 8# Marpac grapple style, galvanized. Price tag said $45, which sounded pretty good. Hopefully the 8 lbs is enough, but with a 6' chain, it will be heavier. The anchor is 19" long, and about 13" wide across the tines.

Think this will be enough anchor for our wrecks, or should I keep looking for a heavier one? I have a 22' center console.

anchor.jpg

I found a grappling hook with a 6' chain on it while diving so I plan to use it on my 19' boat. Here's a pic of the grapple that I found:

img00349201007221946.jpg

It looks just like Glock Diver's.

Suppose the wreck is at 70' deep (Mercedes/Jay Scutti), how long should my anchor line be? How about 100' deep (Jim Atria/Rebel)?

Also, when the grapple is hooked to the wreck, should the first diver down carry a chain & shackle to secure the line to the wreck since the grapple may become loose?

How does the boat unhook the grapple from the wreck?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom