Why no computers for DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guess scotty was holding the door open when they got handed out.

1. Task loading and fatigue is one of the major causes accidents in many industries.

2. Dont do meanial tasks when you can delegate them ( maybe you might start grinding your own wheat just to be sure )

3. If the model is wrong, well then use the model which is right.

If the issue is bad models in computers, then .... tell teh marketing guys there is a market for DIR divers to have a good model.

Sorry, it dont make sense. There is continuous automation of manual stuff over the last 100 years, and to deny its the future...well, your living in a cave.

caveman once bubbled...
Massive lol........ lets take a parallel ( from my industry - Aeronautics ).

Lets strip out all of the Autopilots, Inertial Navigation systems and what ever, and go back to the days of the Wright Brothers and Leonardo Da Vinci. Yes, modern aircraft rely on a lot of electronics...... but lets do a test:

Let one pilot fly a 12 hour trip in manual mode and another using auto pilot, and just before landing let an engine catch fire. I would bet you hands down the autopilot guy would be more up to the task, and the manual guys would be totally wasted.

Yo, Caveman!

My God, did you hit the mark there. Back in the bad old days I flew a C-130 for the State Department. On one memorable occasion, we flew the route Anshas AB (Egypt) to Cairo to Marseille to Gander to Miami in one continuous run with fuel stops in Marseille and Gander. We had two pilots, a flight engineer, a loadmaster, and a broken autopilot. (For those who know: C-130E w/wing-tanks and Part 91.)

As we shot the approach into Miami, we were so goofy with fatigue that we were literally slapping ourselves and saying: "Come on, now. Wake up. This is important!" What a nightmare! We could just barely handle getting the aircraft on the ground. If anything else had happened, we would have been toast! :wacko:

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
Looks like I won't be going diving today unless I get the studded snow tires on. :D
UP, you KNOW studded tires are so NOT DIR! I'm disapointed in you!

:wink:

Bob, I sure wish I was joining you guys on the dives today. This work thing sure can put a cramp in one's diving.

Jimmie

caveman once bubbled...
If you are worried about redundancy, then get 2 or 3 dive comps.
... or maybe you really are paranoid. :D

I don't think too many of the recreational divers here in basic scuba land are doing 12 hour dives... though some may do a 12 hour flight they let the bus driver take care of getting them to the dive destination.

Cracks me up ~ you folks doing plain vanilla OW dives but are paranoid to get near the water without a pony, spare air and two or three computers.

OK... for you aviation buffs and bus drivers who want to mix apples and oranges:
What instruments would you need to land an ultralight on a frozen Alaskan puddle?

OK... for you aviation buffs and bus drivers who want to mix apples and oranges:
What instruments would you need to land an ultralight on a frozen Alaskan puddle?
Well, first I'd say you need the ultra light....after that, I would imagine some sort of illumination system on the ground or in the air...an altimeter would be nice...maybe some landing gear (skis or wheels, I'm not picky)...but I'd drive a bus before I flew a plane, so I guess nothing more than the lights would be necessary for the bus driver...

why you askin pug...thinking about getting a pilot's license and flying to Alaska for a quick dip?

caveman once bubbled...
Guess scotty was holding the door open when they got handed out.

1. Task loading and fatigue is one of the major causes accidents in many industries.

2. Dont do meanial tasks when you can delegate them ( maybe you might start grinding your own wheat just to be sure )

3. If the model is wrong, well then use the model which is right.

If the issue is bad models in computers, then .... tell teh marketing guys there is a market for DIR divers to have a good model.

Sorry, it dont make sense. There is continuous automation of manual stuff over the last 100 years, and to deny its the future...well, your living in a cave.

As for your first comment, you'll notice my post to you was free of insults. I'd appreciate if you'd try to hold to the same standard please. As to your other points:

1- If keeping track of your depth and dive time by checking them every few minutes, and understanding the basics of dive tables are mentally overloading someone, they should not be doing that particular dive.

2- I don't consider taking a more active role in avoiding DCS or an OOA situation as a "menial task".

3- That's easy to say. When you design and market this new "wunderkomputer", send me a link to where I can buy one.

AFAIC- the bottom line is you can dive safely either way. I've only been experimenting with getting away from the computer for the last year or so. It's working for me, and if that means nothing to you, that's cool too.

Your attitude that anyone who doesn't use one is too mentally incompetant to understand your argument is close minded, and incorrect.

[/B]What instruments would you need to land an ultralight on a frozen Alaskan puddle? [/B]
Eyeballs help, as does an altimeter if your depth perception is a bit off or the light is too flat. When you're learning, it helps to know your air speed, but after a couple dozen landings, you can do it by "feel."

Someone said ground lights - not *supposed* to be flying those things in the dark. Besides, most of the frozen tundra puddles aren't on the grid:wink:

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
Well, first I'd say you need the ultra light....after that, I would imagine some sort of illumination system on the ground or in the air...an altimeter would be nice...maybe some landing gear (skis or wheels, I'm not picky)...but I'd drive a bus before I flew a plane, so I guess nothing more than the lights would be necessary for the bus driver...

You'll also need anchors to hold the ultralight in place. Tie lines to your Pelican lights and throw them overboard. They become heavier as they flood :wink:

MD

And I thought it was against the rules for mods to hijack threads :rolleyes:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom