Why no computers for DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrpai once bubbled...
While I disagree with the whole computers rot your brain argument, that clearly wasn't the question. Since the question is what does DIR not use computers
... that is actually part of the answer (see JJ's number 1 and 13 as posted previously by Kendall. Well at least that is what the apothegm *computers rot your brain* is pointing to.

I understand why BJD jumped in to answer the question even though he is in no position to defend the premise since he is in fundamental disagreement with it. Shoot... I do the same thing when folks ask what the best mount is for their pony bottle. :D

Neither do I fault you chrpai for jumping to defend your buddy. What are buddies for if not jumping to your defense. In fact I kinda figured that Freeflyer was one your buddies as well since ya'll live in Houston.

And along those lines thanks to all of you who jumped to my defense... but it wasn't really necessary... we're all just passing time between dives... right?

BTW... I did get some quality time in with an octopus this afternoon so I'm mellow. :D

And for the record:
I put my Stinger in Nitrox mode for the dive, set it to 32% and clipped it off in my left pocket. :D

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

we're all just passing time between dives... right?
Unfortunately some of us have more time to pass than others

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

And for the record:
I put my Stinger in Nitrox mode for the dive, set it to 32% and clipped it off in my left pocket. :D

Finally figured that thing out, did'ja? See ... sometimes computers can cause you to use your brain ... at least till ya figure out how to set the durned contraptions ... :confused:

Was down to the I-beams yesterday ... vis was at least 50 feet. Looked like an aquarium down there ... :)

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Wimp! I'm headed down to Three Tree in about an hour ... gearing up in the snow is always interesting ... :wacko: :wacko:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Massive lol........ lets takea parallel ( from my industry - Aeronautics ).

Lets strip out all of the Autopilots, Inertial Navigations systems and what ever, and go back to the days of the Wright Brothers and Leanardo DaVinci. Yes, modern aircraft rely on alot of electronics...... but lets do a test:-

Let a pilot fly a 12 hour trip i.e. in manual mode and another using auto pilot, and just before landing let and engine catch fire. I would bet u hands down the autopilot guy would be more up to the task and the manual guys would be totally wasted.

Well, lets ask another question, their underwater timers can fail too ! ( although i agree with the reliability engineers amongst u that with multiple components, dive computers would have a lower MTBF ).

If you are worried about redundancy, then get 2 or 3 dive comps. But then again, not sure if DIR will end up like PADI, who cares about quality, lets sell alot through snazzy marketing gimicks ( credit, they do have some good things )

caveman once bubbled...
Massive lol........ lets takea parallel ( from my industry - Aeronautics ).

Lets strip out all of the Autopilots, Inertial Navigations systems and what ever, and go back to the days of the Wright Brothers and Leanardo DaVinci. Yes, modern aircraft rely on alot of electronics...... but lets do a test:-

Let a pilot fly a 12 hour trip i.e. in manual mode and another using auto pilot, and just before landing let and engine catch fire. I would bet u hands down the autopilot guy would be more up to the task and the manual guys would be totally wasted.

This isn't even comparing apples to oranges, it's apples to the space shuttle.

If you are worried about redundancy, then get 2 or 3 dive comps. But then again, not sure if DIR will end up like PADI, who cares about quality, lets sell alot through snazzy marketing gimicks ( credit, they do have some good things )

I do have two rendundant sources. One is my dive watch. The other is my brain, which is much more aware of what's going on with my profile after I stopped relying so much on the computer.

the thing that many of you are forgetting is that the algorithms in a dive computer are simply MODELS of what is KINDA happening in terms of NDL...there is so much incorrect and innaccurate in the way the computers are modeling reality that it doesn't matter how precise they are, they are not telling you what is really happening...they are telling you what is happening in terms of your dive in relation to the innaccurate model.

The point is that in terms of depth and time...two things we can be more or less exact about...a bottom timer or computer are great but...in terms of telling you how you REALLY are doing on a physical level, they fall to the lowest common denominator of the incomplete model they are following. So...who cares how ACCURATE you are...you aren't modeling reality. This is why the Deco on the fly calculation is "accurate", it is reasonable within the restrictions of our understanding of Deco theory and...it doesn't neccessarily create a "but my computer says, so it must be" mentality.

Back
Top Bottom