Why Nikon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Before the digital age people used to shoot film underwater. Most people shot Nikon because very few manufacturers were making housings for Canon cameras.

When digital cameras started to boom Canon had the edge over Nikon. At the same time a lot of manufactures saw the new trend, and started to make housings for Canon. I know several people that made the change from Nikon to Canon when they went from film to digital. People like me took advantage of this and bought up a lot of Nikon glass for bargain prices.

There were those that held out on film to digital switch until Nikon caught up with Canon because they had a lot of money invested in glass. Some made the leap to inferior Nikon DSLR’s, and then later upgraded to better cameras.

It’s that same thinking that goes into buying a housing. Most people tend to stick with the same housing manufacturer because they already have ports.

I used to shoot the Nikon F100, so I waited until a better Nikon DSLR came out, and made the jump.

Both Canon & Nikon make great DSLR’s. Since you are starting out fresh without an investment in lenses, and ports, you can go with either. I know couples that shoot the same kinds of cameras and housings so that they have back up between the two. For us I shoot Nikon while my wife shoots Canon. I use Sea & Sea housings while my wife uses Subal.

It all comes down to what you like best, and what you can afford.

3) Paul Simon singing "I gotta a Nikon camera, I love to take photographs..." on NYC Central Park.

Thank you to everyone for their posts. I have been looking at the Nikon D90 or D300 (price is a big issue). You all have answered some questions that I had. Again...Thank you

For my bit - I have been a Nikon UW user for 20 years with a F3 and then an F4 both in Aquatica housings and all the lenses. They are great cameras and I got some decent stuff when you consider I aint no Alex Mustard.

I have just changed over to an Olympus E-520 with Olympus housing and am in the process of selling my Nikon gear. My reasons are as follows:

1. Money, the Olympus DSLR and housing was 1/2 the price of a Nikon D80 and housing let alone a D90.

2. Weight the Olympus is very light and easily transported.

3. Quality - I wanted a DSLR that would produce images good enough for me not for a professional photographer. It more than lives up to this part.

4. I wanted a mainstream solution not something unusual and potentially unreliable. Therefore it was either Nikon, Canon or Olympus.

5. Size, it had to be a lot! smaller than my Aquatica.

It's a bit sad selling all my old lenses and stuff, although the Aquatica will only bring in $100 if I am lucky. The F4 is also a loss but I will keep the old F3 as I think that was one of the highest levels the mechanical age got to.

Am I happy with the Olympus? I am amazingly happy and the results are better than I expected. It has given my UW photo's a new buzz.

Hi,
I am a Nikon user since I started to photograph, almost 20 years ago.
I can still use, in my today's cameras, the lenses I used 20 years ago. This is the main reason I chose Nikon. Nikon keeps using the same F-mount, so with some exceptions, you can use manual lenses, old AF lenses, film lenses in digital SLRs and some digital lenses in film and FX SLRs.
Out of that, both brands are top and anyone can be a good choice.
It's also true that some years ago, most housings were made for Nikon, and most Nikonos users were naturally inclined for Nikon when they wanted to go SLR. Today, you can find housings virtually for any model of Nikon and Canon in the market.
I hope it helps.
Best regards,
Marcelo

Dr. Marcelo Mammana
Base Jubany - Antarctica (Argentina)

Now that I've had my Nikon for awhile (D300) I can attest to the quality and good design, but that can probably be echoed for either Canon, Olympus or even Sony, Fuji, Minolta, etc.
One reason to go with a major brand for UW use is the continued availability of accessories such as ports and gears for a variety of lenses. If you buy an off-brand camera that has a housing available, not only might the housings disappear soon thereafter, but you might not be able to get accessories for whatever lenses you decide to use.
As for topside, I have found a wealth of old lenses available for my Nikon. I bought an old Tokina 400mm prime MF lens on e-bay for $100 and have had a blast with it. Not a great lens, but workable and cheap and the newest camera will still use it, as mentioned by previous posters.
One of the downsides of Nikon, I've found, is that they have the shortest distance from lens to sensor of any of the brands, so unlike Canon, Oly, Miinolta, etc. you can't buy somebody else's lens and an adapter and stick it on your Nikon. (Unless you can figure out a way to make a negative length adapter!)

As noted several times early UW Nikonos users gravitated to housed Nikon SLRs.
I still think Nikon makes better lenses but recently they are in need of an update for several of their lens products.
I also think that the battle for the latest megapixel aside, the Nikon prosumer and especially their pro camera bodies are MUCH more rugged than the Canon equivalents. This includes better seals against moisture, something to consider when choosing a camera for a housing. This won't save a flood but might make a difference for the occasional drop [or two]
that finds its way mysteriously onto the camera when opening the housing.

I WISH, that Nikon would make a digital u/w body that would accommodate the Nikonos 15mm lens.

I'd be happy as a clam!!

I WISH, that Nikon would make a digital u/w body that would accommodate the Nikonos 15mm lens.

I'd be happy as a clam!!

If Nikon took out the old Nikonos 3 frame and built a DX digital into it with a 10-50mm macro lens what bliss would that be?

Ardy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom