Why Me???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LIdiveGirl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am a dive Instructor with 15 years experience who dives locally and runs trip yearly, 2-4 depending on the year. So far I have experienced DCS twice. Ironically both occurred in Cozumel, but 6 years apart. The first was Type II DCS and the only contributing factor was possible dehydration. It occurred after dive day 1 after two fairly shallow dives, no deeper than 60 feet with no rapid ascent or violations diving on nitrox. The second occurred last month Type I Skin Bends. This time there were no contributing factors. I was on 32% for dive 1, 36% for dive 2 each day set to a 1.4. No rapid ascents, no violations. Hydrated in an extreme way, no exercise after diving, no hot showers, wet suit not too tight and it was a Hyperstretch 7mm so I was not cold in Cozumel in April, comfortable actually. I asked about a possible PFO but the doctor who completed my recompression told me that if it was a PFO issue that every DCS hit would be a hard hit, so I shouldnt even bother being checked. I simply do not understand. I am 33 years old, physically fit and exercise daily, normal weight between 125-130. I would love to know if this has happened to anyone else?

there is some research that suggests females in certain parts of their menstruation cycle are more susceptible to dcs.

I wonder if the Cozumel doctor who completed my recompression is an expert on PFOs?

We do have experts in the Dive Medicine and Dr.Deco forums. Have you not discussed this with DAN?

I was basically told that what they are assuming is that my body just dosent get rid of nitrogen as quickly as a normal average person. Their recommendation was to limit myself to 2 dives a day, dive every other day or take a day off in the middle of the week, dive nitrox only on air tables and hang on O2 if it is available. Hard to do when you are a diving professional who runs trips.

I was basically told that what they are assuming is that my body just dosent get rid of nitrogen as quickly as a normal average person. Their recommendation was to limit myself to 2 dives a day, dive every other day or take a day off in the middle of the week, dive nitrox only on air tables and hang on O2 if it is available. Hard to do when you are a diving professional who runs trips.
So WHO told you that? Yeah, I can see your challenge, but then the hits were amazing too.

I can appreciate your predicament, but on the other hand it's hard to run a trip if you're stuck diving the recompression chamber too.

Most of my experiences in Cozumel the dive shops provided DM's in the water with the group. While it sucks to be stuck on the boat while your group dives, I wouldn't say it's out of the question for you to sit out some of the diving.

SPECULATION -- I wonder if the "extreme hydration" might have been a factor. -- END SPECULATION.

Last year I attended a highly interesting presentation given by a DAN physician at a marine science conference, in which she presented the most recent data on DCS contributing factors. Amazingly, if these factors turn out to be vindicated by more data (at this point, the data are not conclusive yet and more will be needed), everything we think we know about DCS prevention will be wrong.

According to her presentation, mild exercise before and after diving, mild dehydration, mild hypothermia ALL may actually LOWER the risk of DCS. Go figure.

As I said before, the jury is still out and more research is needed, but she also said that at this point, there were NO DATA WHATSOEVER proving that dehydration is a risk factor for DCS. So most of what we take as dogmatic "knowledge" of diving medicine may in fact be flawed.

Ever since that talk, I still practice good hydration, but I am very careful not to overdo it.

I am a dive Instructor with 15 years experience who dives locally and runs trip yearly, 2-4 depending on the year. So far I have experienced DCS twice. Ironically both occurred in Cozumel, but 6 years apart. The first was Type II DCS and the only contributing factor was possible dehydration. It occurred after dive day 1 after two fairly shallow dives, no deeper than 60 feet with no rapid ascent or violations diving on nitrox. The second occurred last month Type I Skin Bends. This time there were no contributing factors. I was on 32% for dive 1, 36% for dive 2 each day set to a 1.4. No rapid ascents, no violations. Hydrated in an extreme way, no exercise after diving, no hot showers, wet suit not too tight and it was a Hyperstretch 7mm so I was not cold in Cozumel in April, comfortable actually. I asked about a possible PFO but the doctor who completed my recompression told me that if it was a PFO issue that every DCS hit would be a hard hit, so I shouldnt even bother being checked. I simply do not understand. I am 33 years old, physically fit and exercise daily, normal weight between 125-130. I would love to know if this has happened to anyone else?

Hi LIdiveGirl,
Can you provide more detail on your dive profiles and symptoms for both of your DCS hits? Can you describe your Type I skin bends? Also, were you working harder than normal on these dives?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom