Why is Scuba Diving a Transitional Sport?

How was your journey toward making scuba diving a long term avocation?

• I got OW certified and never looked back--it was my primary avocation from the start.

Votes: 70 81.4%
  • I travelled a bumpy path to find my niche and/or my core group of fellow divers.

Votes: 14 16.3%
  • I struggled for years and have recently found mostly what I wanted in diving.

Votes: 2 2.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think SB is the place to seek answers to such questions. People in here are active divers. Ranging from very old down to very new including people who are about to drop out (for whatever reason). However once somebody stops diving I don't think he/she will find much interest in SB.
Sorry, that is my reply to the tittle of the thread. The poll asks something totally different.
Apologies

I started freediving in 1969 and progressed to scuba diving in the mid-70's. Became certified in 84' when I went to the US for university education and found out that I had to be certified to go diving. I progressed to higher levels in diver training/certification and became an instructor, etc. later. I can't see me not diving or leaving the sport unless some medical condition prevents me from diving. I even refuse to live anywhere in the US or the world where I'll be more than a two hour drive to the dive sites in the ocean/sea (I have always lived much closer to the ocean/sea, not more than an hour at the most).

I traveled the globe diving and leading groups. I owned a dive center in NY and started a dive school few years ago in Libya where I live now despite of all of the troubles going on here. I love diving and can't see me doing anything else. I love to spread the passion and enjoyment of diving to others through my dive school.

I don't think SB is the place to seek answers to such questions. People in here are active divers. Ranging from very old down to very new including people who are about to drop out (for whatever reason). However once somebody stops diving I don't think he/she will find much interest in SB.
There are definitely some former and non-divers on the board. Just because you can't/don't/won't dive, doesnt mean you can't be interested in it.

Closest choice for me would be number one, but I couldn't vote. I took OW and never looked back, but I can't say it was my primary avocation from the start. I didn't consider scuba when in Manitoba--did OW when we moved to NS on the ocean. It is now my primary avocation, but the reason I took OW was that I was a shell collector. So maybe that's my primary avocation. Then, up until over 30 years ago, I could have said playing basketball. I would think many may have more than one primary avocation.
Why is it a transitional sport (IMO it's not a sport--different thread)? I assume by transitional that means why do people quit after a while?
Perhaps because it gets old if you don't develop a secondary reason or two for diving. Like my shells, or photography, spearing, wreck exploring, etc. I read that in a couple of places anyway.

For me its another seasonal sport to fill the gap between the winter ski seasons. Gives me another type of trip to look forward to and take during the spring/summer/fall. Mostly vacation diving in warm water locations on liveaboards so far, with the occasional dive trip with a LDS for land-based diving.

I always was a water baby, but didn't get certified until 2009. My first class was on my 57th birthday. I was hooked on the first ocean dive. I earned about eight SSI certifications in the first six months, including Rescue Diver. In June 2010, I met my future husband diving in San Carlos, Mexico. He was an MSTD and convinced me to switch to PADI. Became a Divemaster a year later, after buying a house in San Carlos and getting a boat. He continued training me and we dived around the world. We married in 2014, but he passed away this past September. He remains my inspiration.

I didn't fit into any of the voting categories either. Although, number one would be the closest when I started.

For years after I got certified I was all in all the time. 2 to 3 dives a day 3 days a week. I earned instructors cards in both PADI and NAUI along with DAN O2. I got a captains license and ran dive charters.

I had fun but couldn't make any money and had no health insurance. It was at this time that I started sailing commerical.

I was still diving heavily during my time home and having a blast. Then I decided to upgrade my license and all of my free time evaporated when I was taking classes. I basically quit diving, only making 2 or 3 dives a year. I was effectively out of the sport for about 10 years.

Life happens, I got married, and after a while my wife said she wished I get back into diving, or at least try it again. She said I needed a hobby and she remembered how much I used to love diving.

After clearing some mid-life medical hurdles I started back. I'm still not back to where I was but I'm diving allot more than I did for years. Hopefully I keep up with it. I wish the wife was interested in scuba but she's not so I'm buddyless at the moment. Still enjoying it though.

Actually, getting back into diving is what has gotten me to work on getting back in shape. Before I decided to get back into diving I could barely run a mile without stopping. Now, after a heart stent and cancer scare, I'm running 5k's 3 times a week and my fitness is better. I didn't want to be a middle aged diving statistic.

14 months away from eligibility. :)

I always was a water baby, but didn't get certified until 2009. My first class was on my 57th birthday. I was hooked on the first ocean dive. I earned about eight SSI certifications in the first six months, including Rescue Diver. In June 2010, I met my future husband diving in San Carlos, Mexico. He was an MSTD and convinced me to switch to PADI. Became a Divemaster a year later, after buying a house in San Carlos and getting a boat. He continued training me and we dived around the world. We married in 2014, but he passed away this past September. He remains my inspiration.
Condolences on your husband's passing. I recall your story from a few years ago, and am sure we were in contact about the shells in San Carlos. Hope you continue travelling and enjoy the boat--maybe we'll meet yet before it's time to hang up the fins.

I started diving in the late 80s, became a divemaster back in 1989 and have been diving ever since.
I see it this way:
Those who can dive do, those who can't, take up golf.
And I'm a long way away from buying a house on a golf course!

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom