Why is Nitrox so expensive (and so hard to get)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Or buy your own compressor, get oxygen via a supplier, build an oxygen stick and make your own like I do. A 32% fill for a 12 litre tank is about $5 max.

Of course, a dive shop could buy a membrane compressor and make their own nitrox. Much cheaper. At the moment on eBay Australia there is a great compressor for $9500 that will give nitrox fills for almost nothing.

Yes, most dive shops are a rip off when it comes to nitrox, at least in Australia.

Reactions: Heg
All the oxygen in the world is made by the British Oxygen Company (BOC). They release it into the atmosphere and it gradually floats around the world until it reaches Australia where it is captured and put into cylinders.

Of course, Australia being on the opposite side of the world to Britain this takes time and time equals money and that's why nitrox is expensive in Australia. The opposite is true for Australian-made items in the UK - vegemite is horribly expensive as well as horrible in the UK.

This problem is so regional. We can get Nitrox at most shops in our area, and it's a little more expensive (like $15 instead of $10 for a fill). In Southern California, it's far more difficult, and more expensive. It seems that Australia is even worse, at least in your area, whereas liveaboards and dive resorts are more and more likely to have it.

It sort of surprises me, with Australia's general conservativism and risk-averseness regarding diving, that Nitrox isn't virtually universal.

whereas liveaboards and dive resorts are more and more likely to have it.

Most liveaboard ops get that the extra margin of safety for most divers (who will run low on gas before running low on NDL) is worth reducing the likelihood that you'll need interupt even one trip for a bent passenger. Most pax will take it if offered, even at an upcharge. Some boats (hat tip to Wookie, among others) that don't charge extra for EANx.

It sort of surprises me, with Australia's general conservativism and risk-averseness.

????? Being in Australia with the sheer number if creatures and critters that want to KILL you is risky IMO. Lol :wink:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I suspect that its more an insurance issue than anything else.

BTW it is not rocket science to do nitrox, It is not the evil monster that deserves respect and thus a premium price to get it. To be honest comments like "Exactly, and don't kill yourself or others while doing it." is what creates fear in not just nitrox, bot in tank filing and equipment handling in general. To be honest you seem to be speeking from ignorance in the matter of nitrox. NItrox like anything is not dangerous when handled properly. By your standards i couldnt write a note cause i could poke my eye out. I think that most on SB would rather speek of the responsible handling of nitrox than the extreem " killing your self"

Exactly, and don't kill yourself or others while doing it.

This problem is so regional. We can get Nitrox at most shops in our area, and it's a little more expensive (like $15 instead of $10 for a fill).
Yes and I saw difference 2-3$ per tank and sometimes the same price, if you take doubles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom