Why I will never purchase another Olympus product ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I posted earlier about the recurring issues with my PT-030 housing. Today I spent more than an hour on the phone trying to resolve it with Olympus customer service. First I called the California office, only to be put on hold for about 20 minutes, then told to call the New York office. When I called the New York office, I spent another 15 minutes or so on hold, only to be told I had the wrong department (despite that it was the logical selection from the available options), and that they would transfer me to the correct department. Another few minutes on hold, and I got some fellow named "Tony", who told me I would have to go through the same process that failed to fix the problem the last time.

I've had this camera and housing for five months ... about a third of which it has been either unusable or simply out to Olympus for repairs. They kept the housing for more than a month the last time, and I only got a few dives out of it before it broke again.

I explained this to Tony, and told him I didn't want a repair ... this housing is obviously defective ... I wanted a replacement housing. He said (and I quote) ... "Olympus doesn't replace defective equipment, we repair it."

I said, that's not an adequate solution ... I can see us just going through a cycle where I use this thing for a couple of weeks, return it to Olympus, and keep doing that until the warranty expires.

Tony's answer "There's nothing I can do."

My response "Can I please speak to your supervisor?"

Tony's answer "He can't do anything either."

At which point I hung up the phone ... it's obvious that they don't care about my problem, and that I'm wasting my time even trying to deal with this company.

So I'll sell the camera, throw away the housing, chalk it up as a $500 mistake, and move on.

I will never again ... in my lifetime ... purchase another product from Olympus.

I am simply in awe that a company can treat their customers like this and still be in business ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:

I wouldn't let someone's subordinate speak for them. I would've remained on the line until I spoke with his supervisor. And if I still received the same answer, I would be posting here and writing a letter to the President of Olympus America for better resolution (or at least to let them know of their poor customer service). I wish other companies would follow customer service models such as Oceanic and Mares to name a couple.

Very sorry to hear about your lousy experience with Olympus. I am lucky that I have not had any trouble with my PT-020 and C-5060 (knock on wood!).

Sorry to hear it Bob, and sadly you are not alone. I have a friend here that just went thru something simular...

Tony's answer "There's nothing I can do."

Might have even been a taperecording because is sounds exactly the as what they said to him.

TeqP:
I wouldn't let someone's subordinate speak for them. I would've remained on the line until I spoke with his supervisor. And if I still received the same answer, I would be posting here and writing a letter to the President of Olympus America for better resolution (or at least to let them know of their poor customer service). I wish other companies would follow customer service models such as Oceanic and Mares to name a couple.

Very sorry to hear about your lousy experience with Olympus. I am lucky that I have not had any trouble with my PT-020 and C-5060 (knock on wood!).
I had the same problems, the same answers and the same lack of resoltion. I wrote to Oly, I emailed Oly and I called Oly. Not once has anyone responded to me. Please se my thread about Oly here too.

i was going to say, NWGratefulDiver and Wildcard should talk

very, very poor show on O's part

Wow, what a pain in the tail, and a total bummer.

Unfortunately I'm not certain you will get much better service from any of the giants in the Manufacturing Biz (Canon/Oly/Nikon/Sony etc.). Generally under warranty they will do the repair without too much hassle. However in this case seems like whatever they are doing is not fixing the problem, or at least not for long.

I'll never understand why a company will waste hours of their staff time, completely piss off the customer, fail to resolve anything, and somehow think this is a better solution vs. just replacing a part that may cost them $50 to make. Seems like the time wasted telling the customer no would cost them that in a lot of cases, and what is a repeat customer, and their reputation worth?

Wish I had something constructive to suggest. :light:

RonFrank:
Wow, what a pain in the tail, and a total bummer.

Unfortunately I'm not certain you will get much better service from any of the giants in the Manufacturing Biz (Canon/Oly/Nikon/Sony etc.). Generally under warranty they will do the repair without too much hassle. However in this case seems like whatever they are doing is not fixing the problem, or at least not for long.

I'll never understand why a company will waste hours of their staff time, completely piss off the customer, fail to resolve anything, and somehow think this is a better solution vs. just replacing a part that may cost them $50 to make. Seems like the time wasted telling the customer no would cost them that in a lot of cases, and what is a repeat customer, and their reputation worth?

Wish I had something constructive to suggest. :light:
You're right ... I could replace this housing for less than it costs me for a month's worth of nitrox. It's not the money ... I could buy another housing today and not miss it.

It's the principle of the damn thing ... these folks warranty the product, and then don't honor their warranty.

OLYMPUS DOES NOT REPLACE DEFECTIVE EQUIPMENT !!!

That is their company policy, as told to me by their own customer support rep.

If they can't support their products, I don't want them.

... Bob

The two Olympus cameras I've used both had pronounced shutter lag. I was looking at the latest digital compact offering from Oly, with all sorts of improvements. It also had way too much lag. I bought a Fuji. Razor sharp, nice little pocket-sized housing, fast even in low light, great price.

72.gif

Sad to say that is the general overall attitude in America these days.

If there is such a thing as reincarnation I'm coming back in Japan in my next life. I truly admire their society.

Gilligan:
72.gif

Sad to say that is the general overall attitude in America these days.

If there is such a thing as reincarnation I'm coming back in Japan in my next life. I truly admire their society.

Is Japan's customer service on Oly products any better? Seems like Oly US would be getting their customer service policies from... ummm.. Japan?

I'm not sure it's any better over there, but I don't have any experience having not lived there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom