Why I should Not be Solo Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't you have to sign an oath to solo diving before going into that forum. The waiver is 3 pages long. That's rough since I can hardly read.

okay okay,
I tried to restrain myself but I can no longer. There is an oath, no waiver, but you must bring a kazzoo and the beatings will continue untill morale improves! LOL
Really solo is and should not be this contravercial. People are curious and have questions, we should try and answer them. I believe that if you have to ask, or request a card to do it you are not ready. However I believe strongly in mentoring and no matter what type of diving you decide to do, you should surround yourself with people who are doing it and ask a lot of questions. I.E. the solo forum.
Come on over, our kool-aid is much easier to swallow, and sometimes we have cookies!
Eric

waterpirate:
okay okay,
I tried to restrain myself but I can no longer. There is an oath, no waiver, but you must bring a kazzoo and the beatings will continue untill morale improves! LOL
Really solo is and should not be this contravercial. People are curious and have questions, we should try and answer them. I believe that if you have to ask, or request a card to do it you are not ready. However I believe strongly in mentoring and no matter what type of diving you decide to do, you should surround yourself with people who are doing it and ask a lot of questions. I.E. the solo forum.
Come on over, our kool-aid is much easier to swallow, and sometimes we have cookies!
Eric

And you can bring a buddy if you would like. But you don't have to.

You could bring a buddy, but you can't sit next to him.

TomP:
WOW -- 36 pages and a Mod warning to boot! Sure glad this wasn't in the Solo forum:wink:
Coulda been worse ... this conversation started in the DIR forum ... :11:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

waterpirate:
okay okay,
Eric
Out of curiousity ... how to you mentor a solo diver?

I imagine it goes something like "You go that way, I'll go this way ... and we'll talk about it after we finish our respective dives." ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Coulda been worse ... this conversation started in the DIR forum ... :11:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

When do I get my spankings for being the culprit?

fndmylove:
When do I get my spankings for being the culprit?
Nah ... you moved it when it morphed ...

... unless you just like spankings, in which case you should've moved it to the Singles forum ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Nah ... you moved it when it morphed ...

... unless you just like spankings, in which case you should've moved it to the Singles forum ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

haha, nice one Bob!

Just a few thoughts on solo diving.
first let me say that I believe in the buddy system. Now having said that I believe all divers should strive to be able to dive solo. I also believe that many divers that claim they would never even think about going solo have upon occasion done so and did not even know it. I am not referring to those who chose to be "same ocean, same day" buddies but to those who believe they have someone watching their back but in reality they have a liability. Any diver whose buddy is in those first 10 to 15 dives after OW certification regardless of how thurogh their instructor may have been, or only logs a handful of dives a year is diving solo. The dive instructor with 8 OW students, or worse yet, 4 discover scuba customers is worse off than being solo. The odds of something happening increase exponentially with each student. The odd diver out on the dive boat that is buddied with a pair that know eachother is on his own for sure. In any of these situations the diver that believes that someone will be prepared to cut him loose or pass off an alternate in a OOA situation is blissfully ignorant.
I also believe that in some situations diving solo is the more prudent of 2 bad choices (assuming the divers are definatly going to dive). When 2 divers are on a private boat and there is not a third person qualified to operate the boat it is often safer to dive 1 at a time, with the other staying on the boat and watching bubbles and the clock.
Unless a diver is propperly equipped and is propperly trained they should not consider going truly solo. Divers should strive to be good buddies ,but they should never assume that their buddy will be.
Yes I often dive solo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom