why hydrate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have also read that for every 1% below optimum hydration you lose 5% of your physical endurance. I know I feel more wasted when I run while mildly dehydrated.

That alone should be a reason to stay hydrated. Whenever I am planning to do something whether it be diving, hiking, skiing or kayaking I start drinking more water the day before. It definitely makes a difference.

John

Doc, good point. I just rec dive.

Wayward, good point too. I know I'm usually dehyd.

Rocketman, you're right.I almost always have drymouth...just like when I stick my head out the window of a moving car and open it. Does anyone who hydrates themselves well still get drymouth?

Firebrand, good point.

Kraken...awesome reply...totally agree

DiveMe, you're so right...and I've also read that they've changed their mind about how much water is a good amount...turned out we were expected to drink more than what's healthy all along

Howarde, if high altitude requires more H2o consumption, then wouldn't diving require the opposite?

pasley, you're right. I'm probably dehyd most of the time. Part of my job requires that I recognize when one of my patients is dehydrated. So what I meant is dehydrated to the point of it being an emergency. What I also learned was that the body requires a dam good fluid balance. Hence the importance of fluid transfer within the tissues and the blood. We CAN overhydrate to the point of it being poisonous to our bodies...has anyone read that yet? I'm with you on better safe than sorry. when I start doing deep dives or a liveaboard, I'll remember what you said. for now I won't need a pee valve in my drysuit

I weigh 140lbs don't need to drink much. one coffee in the morning. Hate softdrinks. drink gatoraide or snapple with lunch and dinner. 8oz of H20 before bed every day.. thats what my body is ok with for now..eveyone is different...ps takes quite a bit to make me sweat.

thanks for the replies guys...

I’ve looked over the years for information from an original source study that says people should be drinking the proverbial 8 glasses of water a day. I haven’t been able to find one, which leads me to believe that this recommendation is just that: proverbial. Likewise, the notion that some mildly diuretic beverages don’t count or may count as negatives seems odd to me and I have been unable to find any studies that support this oft repeated notion. (You’re drinking 8 glasses of water a day to make sure you pee. A cup of coffee makes you pee – how is this bad? Relax, you’re going to drink another glass of water in a few minutes. A six-pack of beer, on the other hand, will give you a whole host of problems.) Your body has been pretty finely tuned by nature over the eons and is a pretty effective moderator of water levels under normal conditions, learning to trust the signals it gives you would seem to be a good guideline. Drink when you feel thirsty.

Sometimes we put ourselves in unique situations that our body has a hard time coping with. Thirst often isn’t an adequate signal if you’re working hard, older or…underwater. Divers place themselves in an environment that their bodies clearly weren’t designed to operate in. The underwater environment imposes special stresses and strains and needs on us that our finely tuned machine isn’t always prepared to deal with.

Dehydration is a clearly identified corollary to decompression sickness, a problem that our body was never intended to need to respond to. Additionally, even mild dehydration (1% to 2% of your body weight) increases fatigue, lightheadedness and is related to a host of other issues that can carry a heavy price tag underwater. The increased danger of dehydration related problems underwater is exacerbated by an otherwise normal physiological process: most people find that diving stimulates their kidneys and they end up peeing more and more often when diving. I like to think of this as my body saying “too much water” even though I'm only swimming in it. At any rate, I think prudence dictates that divers should be mildly over-hydrated at the start of the diving day and pay special attention to avoiding getting dehydrated for a day or so after diving is done. If you aren’t peeing several times a day, you’re dehydrated. It’s abnormal to get in the water and not feel a need to pee, if you don’t, you need to find out why not.

As to punisher, he might be a pee-phobic but thus far it appears that his head hasn't exploded and his legs haven't fallen off due to chronic dehydration, so it's also possible that his body just works a little different from mine. I do know that if I limited my water intake to the 8X8 guideline, I'd have to change my handle from "reefraff" to "raisin." Actually, I'm kind of envious of punisher, since dealing with urea-enhanced wetsuits is definitely NOT my idea of a good time.

I should end with a caveat: I’m not a doctor and I don’t sleep at Holiday Inn. I did sleep with a doctor for awhile, however...

Boogie711:
Seven Characters: p-valve

Far too much effort, inconvenience, overkill and money for my sort of diving with the club

I dive at stonington...they have a portopotty...I use it...bladder is drained...I dive...if I find myself with the need to pee again, i'd talk to my Doc

String:
Far too much effort, inconvenience, overkill and money for my sort of diving with the club
You're right, it is much less of a pain to intentionally dehydrate onesself and be forced to strip all your clothing off right after a dive.

Just not drinking huge amounts means i dont need to peel all the kit off post dive, get the boat stopped and so on. Quite happy to manage 7-8 hours until the boat is back off the water then. As i said, its far from ideal but the best solution for a typical club day diving.

String:
Just not drinking huge amounts means i dont need to peel all the kit off post dive, get the boat stopped and so on. Quite happy to manage 7-8 hours until the boat is back off the water then. As i said, its far from ideal but the best solution for a typical club day diving.
You dehydrate yourself to the point where you can go 8 hours without peeing.... just so you don't have to put on a cath and spend $50?

RocketMan:
punisher,
Have you ever had cottonmouth or dry throat during/after a dive? Or had a post dive headache? The air in your tank is very, very dry. I think the humidity is less than 1% (others may know more exactly). Anyway this tends to draw moisture from you lungs when you exhale and thereby dehydrate you. Being well hydrated can reduce these affects.
Post dive headache is often realated to dehydration? I've had that a couple of times but didn't really have anything to attribute it to.

The Kraken:
I believe in being hydrated, but not over hydrated.

I've seen divers swilling bottle after bottle of water before and between dives.

I normally will drink one bottle or so of water more than my customary fluid intake before a dive to offset any moisture loss from breathing dry air.

But in my opinion, the constant consumption of water or other liquids is just overkill.

. . . once again, that's just my opinion.

I am not a medical doctor, nor do I play the part of one on TV.

the K

If I had to guess at a reason behind the connection between hydration and DCI, I would think that gas coming out of saturated tissue in a well hydrated person would represent a smaller percentage of the total volume of available serum in the blood. If that is one of the mechanisms involved, then the more hydration (even over hydration), the more you have to dissolve gas in, therefore, the less likely you are to suffer DSI.

Stan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom