Why have a zipper on a wing, if you can't........ (warning a longish rant follows)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've read most of this thread, but I may have missed some things.

Forgive me if this has already been asked/answered. Is it possible to buy the bladder, special tool, or replacement part from someplace else ? The bladder may not be an identical replacement, but wouldn't a bladder from another mfr. still function ? It might be 30 lb. instead of 32 lb. The special OPV tool makes things easier, but could you buy one from someone else or make your own version ?

I can see both sides to this argument. To me a DIY repair is a functional repair. If I want the repair to be 100% exactly as new with original mfr. parts, not substitutes, then I am going to send it to the mfr.

I've read most of this thread, but I may have missed some things.

Forgive me if this has already been asked/answered. Is it possible to buy the bladder, special tool, or replacement part from someplace else ? The bladder may not be an identical replacement, but wouldn't a bladder from another mfr. still function ? It might be 30 lb. instead of 32 lb. The special OPV tool makes things easier, but could you buy one from someone else or make your own version ?

I can see both sides to this argument. To me a DIY repair is a functional repair. If I want the repair to be 100% exactly as new with original mfr. parts, not substitutes, then I am going to send it to the mfr.

Hi ronscuba,

I'm the OP, the scoundrel who started the argument.

I have no way of knowing for sure, but I'd be surprised if you could find an exact match for a HOG 32 bladder with a bladder from another brand. I'd be really hesitant to try, and if it was not an exact match, I would certainly not try to make it work.

I started the thread because I was curious (and a bit annoyed!!), mostly from a philosophical standpoint, about the fact that I could not just pick up the phone and have a replacement bladder sent to me.

I needed to return the bladders directly to the manufacturer.

Tobin explained why and how DSS handles wing repairs, and I appreciate him explaining that. I do expect the other brands have similar reasons, but I'm not sure.

From a "philosophical" perspective I would strongly prefer being able to buy replacement bladders.

But from a practical perspective I can certainly understand Tobin's policy.

In my case, a "happy ending" is in sight: Replacement bladders are on the way, hopefully I'll have them in my hot little hands next week.

Best wishes.

The way it was explained to me from jack when I first called about my HOG wing is there is no way to know which bladder to use until they see the wing. He said they used several different bladders for the 32# wing so I would have to send it in. When I pulled pot the bladder myself (I used no magical tools and took all of 2 minutes) it had a tag on it with the model and serial number and date of manufacturer along with some other numbers so I'm not sure why they could not use those to identify the proper replacement bladder. With that said I got my wing back in seven days. I sent it out Friday morning USPS priority mail and on Monday called Edge/HOG and talked to Chris explaining he should be receiving my wing today and asking if there was any way they could expedite the repair so I would have the wing for our upcoming vacation. I also offered to pay for express shipping so I would have it in time. About three hours later I received a phone call from Chris saying my wing was repaired and on it's way back to me. I asked if there were any charges and he said "no it's all set". So all in all I experienced excellent customer service from Edge/Hog. Would I have gotten the wing back that fast if I didn't call? That is something only the employees of Edge/HOG would know. Will I still purchase and support said manufacturer in the future even though I had to send the product back? Yes I will! I think this thread comes down to that there are a few of us that just feel we need to repair our own products, weather it be scuba equipment, guns or a vacuum cleaner and when someone tells us we cant it just makes us need to do it that much more.

Speaking again specifically about Halcyon, they went away from this design to split bladder/shell design. I don't have any personal experience but the older (Pioneer) 'single-layer' wings certainly have a reputation (confirmed by the few people I know that have dived them) of suffering pinch leaks pretty easily, which then can't be repaired/patched (aka bicycle tube repair) like an internal bladder can. Myself, I would prefer a dual-layer wing i.e. seperate cover & bladder (assuming you could buy the cover and bladder separately) for that reason alone

That's still an opportunity for an engineering change. Either the bladder needs to be more resistant to damage when pinched, or redesigned to prevent pinching entirely.

Everybody is still making the same 40+ year old design with minor changes and are still dealing with 40+ year old problems.

flots

I do see an improvement in the replacement bladder for the HOG 32 wing.

I wish I had my two old bladders to do a side-by-side comparison, but of course I sent both of them in to Edge/HOG.

I cannot comment on whether there are "engineering differences" with the "new" HOG 32 bladders that would make newer versions not work with "old" HOG 32 wings... I really doubt this is the case, but maybe there were some interim versions?? I have two "old" HOG 32 wings and one very new one, and I believe the wings themselves are the same (other than red side panels on the newest one??).

Anyway, from memory (and my memory sucks these days, sigh):

• It does appear the newest bladder has a "rubberized" interior that the early versions did not have.
  • Nice, sturdy looking construction. Heavier mil?? Not sure.
  • The new bladder fit the old wing perfectly, and of course with this bladder design no tools are required to install the dump valve and inflator hose.
  • And most importantly, it holds air!! :D

But the "Scuba Gods" had one last trick to play: Instead of two bladders, only one came in the mail :confused::confused:.

Chris has been great to work with. I called him this morning and he thinks what happened is that my two bladders got confused with a repair order from another customer, and my 2 bladders were sent to the wrong customer, and I received his/her bladder.... ahhh well.

What is another week after waiting for a month :idk:

These things happen. I'm very happy to be able to get the wings fixed, and pleased from a DIY perspective that I could "do it myself".

Best wishes.

Last edited:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This thread has undergone an EXTENSIVE cleanup to remove the name-calling, bickering, and off-topic posts. Repetitive behaviour could result in a suspension of posting privileges. Please cut it out. Marg, SB Senior Moderator

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom