• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Why Ever take Advanced Open Water...

Discussion in 'SSI: Scuba Schools International' started by PvtStash, Jul 21, 2008.

1. supergibbs

supergibbs Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I took the AOW from my local dive shop but it was all inclusive. It's home study then a Q&A session/written tests and then the dives. My shop lets you borrow the books for free as long as you don't write in them and the AOW card was included. I didn't ask if I could get a discount if I waived the new card and waited for Divemaster but it was a pretty good deal. $279 which included a boat trip and rental tank/weights.

2. Gr8LakesWreckDvr

Gr8LakesWreckDvr Instructor, Scuba

I'm in Toledo too. Just out of curiosity, which LDS do you use?

3. PerroneFord

PerroneFord DIR Practitioner

# of Dives:
    I need to get one of those AOW cards one day... Probably be fun.

4. ErikH

ErikH Divemaster

Just out of curiosity, what do you see 'those Europeans' do all the time and where? As far as I know, most technical diving is either cave diving in Florida and Mexico or deep diving in some deep blue waters you won't find in Europe. I got to admit there are plenty of technical divers here in Holland and across Europe, but I would expect a lot more of them in those regions where you can actually do those kind of dives.

5. Web Monkey

Web Monkey Omniheurist ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    They sneak in while I'm sleeping and drink all my beer and eat all my leftover pizza!

No, wait. I think I did that. Sorry. :D

Terry

6. Paco II

Paco II Contributor

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I see that this thread was started a bit ago, but thought it worth adding that in some countries, where diving is highly regulated, ops will only allow you to go down a certain depth depending on the card you carry. in my own experience, this has been 20m max with OW card, anything deeper requiring an AOW or better card. I agree with earlier posts that say experience is of greater importance, but once you have some degree of that, getting an AOW or better card will allow you to do any dive around the world with fewer possible limitations.

7. mir

mir Registered

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    In all honesty you should not have to pay for the cards since they are a symbol of your accomplishments in paying for their courses and logging all of your dives. they just gave me mine at 22 dives knowing good and well I was going to complete the remaining 2 qualifying dives needed for AOW and after your stress and rescue course and 26 more dives I'd be asking them to go ahead and give the Masters certification.

8. ErikH

ErikH Divemaster

You can always ask :wink: But seriously, those C-cards do cost your dive center money. You paid for your S&R course, so you'll get a C-card for that specialty. But you never paid for the Master Diver card. That card is just showing that you have 50 or more dives, AOW and S&R. You can prove all that with your divelog and the AOW and S&R C-cards. No need for an extra Master Diver card I would say.

If you do want to have that card, every SSI Facility can order it for you, as long as you are willing to pay for the costs :wink: