Why don't you go to dive shows?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Friggincold

Contributor
Reaction score
Can anyone give me some ideas why the USA doesn't support dive shows? Think about it....The London and Birmingham shows probably draw 20-30,000 people each, the Boot show probably draws 80,000. Florida Dive Show in the heart of US dive country might draw 3,000. DEMA only gets about 6000 attendees. The largest US show in California only draws 11000. So folks tell me why the US just doesn't support the shows?

They need to have film festivals and more seminars associated with the shows. We have a dive show in FL that has the same speakers year after year, not much incentive to go after the third or fourth year. I've been to job related shows where the primary focus is the seminars and the vendors are secondary. There are usually fees for the seminars and the vendor area just needs a free pass. Too many dive shows have the vendor booths as the primary focus. This makes sense for DEMA where the emphasis is business but the average diver just scans the booths as they walk by unless they have a specific interest. They need to have something to bring them in and keep them there. The films and seminars should be the focus, not an afterthought.

PS: I go to every dive show, boat show and nautical flea market in the area.

Houston was my last DEMA

too much smoke, even if it was outside. You had to walk through it at every entrance and exit. The food was all greasy.

Just not entertaining enough, basically. Yea, same speakers nothing fresh.
I'd like to hear those guys talk about diving with the Humble squid, things like that.

For me the California show is a disappointment from an equipment standpoint. Very few manufacturers attend. This year there were a few retailers, but most of the booths were for travel or peripheral/niche products. This may be do to the strange pricing/distribution practices in the industry. Internet shopping is great, but I am still one that wants to see/touch/try something before I buy it if I can. And you can only go to so many LDS to see the variety of product lines out there. We have it easy in So Cal in that there are dozens of shops, but even those rarely have more than a few different lines of product. The large number of travel booths still amzes me, as most of their info is available via brochure and internet. And I agree with Catherine- more entertainment/instructional seminars.

Very interesting question, and one that I don't have an answer for, although the following might play a role.

DEMA is a trade fair / industry show - as a "private" person, you have to be a DM or instructor to get in, otherwise you have to be affiliated with the industry: LDS, manufacturer, dive center, resort, etc. "Joe Diver" off the street officially can't attend.

I was hoping to attend the Florida Dive Show last weekend, but was unable to due to other commitments (admittedly, Saturday's "commitment" was actually diving!). But, from what I've heard from friends, one of the negatives of this show is that the exhibitors are not allowed to actually sell their products. I would imagine that this reduces interest.

Food for thought...

not allowed to actually sell their products

I saw people taking orders left and right, is that different?

Can anyone give me some ideas why the USA doesn't support dive shows? Think about it....The London and Birmingham shows probably draw 20-30,000 people each, the Boot show probably draws 80,000. Florida Dive Show in the heart of US dive country might draw 3,000. DEMA only gets about 6000 attendees. The largest US show in California only draws 11000. So folks tell me why the US just doesn't support the shows?

Not sure where in Pa you are but BTS is a great show in NJ come March

The auto show usually employs scantily clad models draping themselves across the merchandise. Have they considered that?:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom