Why don't wings have shoulder dump valves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

or there's this one

“Having removed his bc from his gear bag and noticing that the shoulder dump had disassembled, he quickly gathered up what he thought were all the pieces and reassembled it, but on entering the water sank to the bottom of the ocean where the diver was never to be found again for the rest of eternity, as he had omitted to install the crucial main oring”

Bummer!
I have seen it once before and luckily it was a 24m dive to sandy bottom. The diver's dump elbow was completely broken and he lost all his buoyancy and dropped to the bottom. The dive guide had a hard time to bring him back to the boat and the dive was called off.

DIR set no standard except on their own.

Hip dump valve is not a modern day convention.
It might not be modern, but it's the DIR influence placing the dump on the LHS as opposed to elsewhere. Or maybe it's just the best place to put it.

One of my few experiences dealing with a genuinely panicked diver in what could have been a life threatening situation was with an inexperienced diver who entered off the boat without realising the bcd shoulder dump toggle was caught on a strap or buckle. It wouldn’t hold air and she was in distress struggling to stay on the surface. We sorted it out after I got to her but there is a real risk with a shoulder dump.
A butt-dump toggle could get caught too, but the bc still holds air when you’re head-up.

Well there are "two" ways to vent afterall
It's not like you can't tilt up and vent from the corrugated hose.

My hollis SMS100 with the "Edd mods" and my SMS75 has a dump behind the neck. I can tell you when they stick open its a colossal pain (has happened twice which is 2 times too many)

It took some getting used to the left shoulder dump string on my SMS75 after being used to a BP/W and the butt dump. I’ve never used my SMS75 butt dump. Hard to get to.

It might not be modern, but it's the DIR influence placing the dump on the LHS as opposed to elsewhere. Or maybe it's just the best place to put it.
AFAIK Dive Rite wing came a lot earlier than certain brand. But I cannot tell you where the dump valve is situated.

For the old Sea Quest bc the dump valve is on the right hip at the back.

There is no such thing as BEST.

When taking my OW and AOW classes, we were taught to do our initial descent and final ascent in a vertical orientation.

We descend vertically, and when we reach the approximate target depth, we flatten out and move horizontally.
Modest, gradual changes in depth thereafter are also done in a horizontal orientation.

When we're done swimming around, and want to end the dive, we go vertical until we get to our safety stop depth, hang out there for 3 minutes, then go vertical to the surface, looking up for obstacles.

Is this not common practice? Do folks generally make large changes in depth while remaining horizontal? When you are ascending to the surface, doesn't being horizontal limit your view of obstacles directly above you?

I have figured out that the butt dump valve is the one to use when I'm horizontal. However, it's pretty much useless when I'm vertical, which is why I was wondering about shoulder valves on wings.
I always do what the instructor requests during a class, if for no other reason than to try something different.

There are advantages and disadvantages to either orientation for ascent and descent.
  • Vertical-Oriented Ascent: Easier to see your buddy and potentially overhead obstacles. Although broadly speaking overhead obstacles are only likely to be a thing in open-water diving during the last 5-ft.
  • Vertical-Oriented Descent: Easier to keep track of your buddy. Easier to descend faster (which isn't necessarily a positive). Major downside is visibility of the bottom in murky-waters.
  • Horizontal-Oriented Ascent: Works pretty much just as well as the vertical. A little slower ascent, which is usually a good thing. Only disadvantage is it's harder to track your buddy if he gets above you. Although you could always roll over on your back if you're comfortable with that and feel adventurous.
  • Horizontal-Oriented Descent: It's easier to keep track of what's under you, especially in murky waters, and slows your descent slightly
Outside class, I'd say do whatever you feel like & try both.

The corrugated hose? If you’re in danger of ripping it out, your pull dump cable is seriously too long.
Probably. To be fair, it wasn't my rig, but if I do set one up, I'll keep that in mind.

I have seen it once before and luckily it was a 24m dive to sandy bottom. The diver's dump elbow was completely broken and he lost all his buoyancy and dropped to the bottom. The dive guide had a hard time to bring him back to the boat and the dive was called off.
Sounds like the diver was over-weighted as well.

What toggle

full.jpg

Obviously the bloke never learned to dive old school with no BC.
Would you like a little overweighting anyone?

The vast majority of my diving consists of negative entry drift dives in a head down head first position. I carry either hunting or camera gear with the intent of kicking down to whatever is waiting below as quickly as possible. The only thing you will see in a vertical head up position is other divers. I would prefer to not see any of them until I get back on the boat. I found the inflator pull dump on my fist wing rather pointless and immediately replaced it with a standard elbow, but to each his own. Use what works for you.

There it is again. No it's not.

full.jpg

Just a thick string. No toggle

Do you like how it sticks out

Back
Top Bottom