Why don't wings have shoulder dump valves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd be happy if the hip dump was on the right. Arthritic left shoulder makes me appreciate the right hip dump.
Why most if not all hip dump is on the left?
Surely there are far more right-handedness than left.

I believe the argument is that all adding/releasing air is done with the left hand (inflator and hip).... I make my own wings and have muscle memory from skydiving that led me to put the hip dump on mine and my boys' wings on the right.

It's the influence of DIR: the LHS is for regular activities; the RHS is for emergencies which you leave clear. Hence stages left, cannister dive light in left hand Goodman handle, SPG (gauge), all on the left. Long hose on right which is now clean.

Thus you can donate and dump at the same time. Or hold someone/thing with the right hand and still be able to dump with the left.

really you should be flat and using the hip dump, so the shoulder dump is pointless. Of course that is also true of a conventional BCD…

When taking my OW and AOW classes, we were taught to do our initial descent and final ascent in a vertical orientation.

We descend vertically, and when we reach the approximate target depth, we flatten out and move horizontally.
Modest, gradual changes in depth thereafter are also done in a horizontal orientation.

When we're done swimming around, and want to end the dive, we go vertical until we get to our safety stop depth, hang out there for 3 minutes, then go vertical to the surface, looking up for obstacles.

Is this not common practice? Do folks generally make large changes in depth while remaining horizontal? When you are ascending to the surface, doesn't being horizontal limit your view of obstacles directly above you?

I have figured out that the butt dump valve is the one to use when I'm horizontal. However, it's pretty much useless when I'm vertical, which is why I was wondering about shoulder valves on wings.

When taking my OW and AOW classes, we were taught to do our initial descent and final ascent in a vertical orientation.

We descend vertically, and when we reach the approximate target depth, we flatten out and move horizontally.
Modest, gradual changes in depth thereafter are also done in a horizontal orientation.

When we're done swimming around, and want to end the dive, we go vertical until we get to our safety stop depth, hang out there for 3 minutes, then go vertical to the surface, looking up for obstacles.

Is this not common practice? Do folks generally make large changes in depth while remaining horizontal? When you are ascending to the surface, doesn't being horizontal limit your view of obstacles directly above you?

I have figured out that the butt dump valve is the one to use when I'm horizontal. However, it's pretty much useless when I'm vertical, which is why I was wondering about shoulder valves on wings.
This is a good description of how I ascent and descend.

it’s important to understand that SB has many wonderful members with countless millions of hours diving and a very definite opinion of right and wrong. Vertical ascents and descents are most definitely wrong.

Screw it. You do you. If you want to descend feet first, head first, or ass first, go for it.

The main thing that worries me about the inflator-integrated dump-valves is accidentally ripping out the hose. The ones I've used typically require a fairly stiff tug.

The main thing that worries me about the inflator-integrated dump-valves is accidentally ripping out the hose. The ones I've used typically require a fairly stiff tug.
The corrugated hose? If you’re in danger of ripping it out, your pull dump cable is seriously too long.

or there's this one

“Having removed his bc from his gear bag and noticing that the shoulder dump had disassembled, he quickly gathered up what he thought were all the pieces and reassembled it, but on entering the water sank to the bottom of the ocean where the diver was never to be found again for the rest of eternity, as he had omitted to install the crucial main oring”

Bummer!

Interesting.

I'd never sink vertically simply because I want to follow the shot line and see people below me on the shot, not to mention the wreck before I crash into it. So always horizontal (especially if pulling down the shot because the tide miraculously changed -- never the skipper's fault :) )

Ascending is done horizontally too. I do get the idea about being vertical. Bloody annoying when there's a bunch of people at 5m/18' on the shot line waggling their fins around, means I'll do my stops at 8m horizontally without getting kicked in the head by the madding throng above.

One reason for being horizontal rather than vertical is the drysuit squeezes when vertical, plus all the gas dumps out. Horizontal everything's calm and comfy.

It's the influence of DIR: the LHS is for regular activities; the RHS is for emergencies which you leave clear. Hence stages left, cannister dive light in left hand Goodman handle, SPG (gauge), all on the left. Long hose on right which is now clean.

Thus you can donate and dump at the same time. Or hold someone/thing with the right hand and still be able to dump with the left.
DIR set no standard except on their own.

Hip dump valve is not a modern day convention.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom