Why don't most brands sell service parts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My experience with the few times I’ve asked about brands the dive shop doesn’t carry, they just say they don’t know anything about that particular brand because they don’t carry it or service it.
I’ve never been told that it will kill me.

The shop I did my OW with literally told me exactly that.

You, Sir, seem to be uncommonly blessed with really good dive shops!
On a smaller level, the whole not selling parts (see how I brought us back on topic?) Feeds into the the FUD of "it's life support equipment, leave it to professionals," and "it's life support equipment, if you tamper with it you'll die." If they made parts and manuals readily available and laid off the FUD, then the average diver wouldn't treat the gear as a magic talisman keeping them safe under water.... Then they might learn about the gear, which could lead to understanding. That would lead to them learning that most new models are the same 60s and 70s tech with a cosmetic change or two.... And we can't have that. Gear has had incremental improvements over the decades, but no real game changers... And if the average diver understood that, sales would drop drastically.

Respectfully,

James

The most dangerous weapon invented by man is the automobile........ how many times have you seen, had or personally know someone who's automobile has been improperly serviced by a "pro"?

And it's not just your life that depends on it.

Some people have zero ethics.
At some point in time, a college class was created and called "business ethics." Business ethics are different from ethics or ethical behavior and can pretty much be summed up as "That which makes our shareholders more money is ethical, and that which doesn't (or may get the company negative press) isn't ethical.

Feeds into the the FUD of "it's life support equipment, leave it to professionals," and "it's life support equipment, if you tamper with it you'll die."
Anytime I see someone describing scuba gear as "life support equipment" I discount anything they have to say. Luckily, I've never seen someone pull that in person. I've only seen it online.

The most dangerous weapon invented by man is the automobile........ how many times have you seen, had or personally know someone who's automobile has been improperly serviced by a "pro"?

And it's not just your life that depends on it.
Accidents are the third leading cause of death in the USA. Only Heart Disease (#1) and Cancer (#2) are more deadly.

Covid is on the official list, but since the reports there are famously craptastic..

At some point in time, a college class was created and called "business ethics." Business ethics are different from ethics or ethical behavior and can pretty much be summed up as "That which makes our shareholders more money is ethical, and that which doesn't (or may get the company negative press) isn't ethical.
Yeah, I'd argue that isn't ethics, but simply a rationalization of a lack of ethics. One of the discussions I've read is the difference between ethical capitalism vs unethical capitalism regarding sustainability.

But that's another topic I think

Back
Top Bottom