Why do you Love diving Indonesia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The diving is just that good. I include Borneo in the mix although Sipadan is Malaysia it is still within the coral triangle. People are great too.

Two words:

Indonesian ThroughFlow

Last edited:
Bang for your buck!
And the fact that it is right next door, as I live in Singapore.
Maldives is way too expensive, Fiji is too far away and expensive (although Fiji Air is now flying direct... so when they have a few deals it may be a possibility), PNG is far more expensive and 2-3 flights away. I think you can see a trend here.
Thailand is possibly cheaper... but the diving doesn't come close.

Dirtfarmer, that "crossing trip" from Ambon to Sorong is my dream trip! One day, one day.

It's a big place. Calling it diverse doesn't even do it justice. Mr. Dirt Farmer has gotten to see what Mr. WetPup has not. We have been very fortunate to dive many areas from Lembeh to Raja to Bali. Even so, there are areas we have yet to dive, Kaimana, Forgotten Islands. Once you get away from the standard Raja Ampat itinerary, you can find some incredibly different experiences. Having done some exploratory diving where you have to get permission from the local village chief, to places that are typically too difficult for the average diver, you get some great, weird, and some not so great diving, but it provides a very memorable experience.

This book: http://www.amazon.com/Diving-Indone...4/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1321200508&s

has over 200 sites in the Birdshead region alone. Last year I got to dive some of those places that aren't on anyone's itinerary. It's fun when a dive surprises you and you see things you've never seen before.

We probably won't get to Sangalaki or the Borneo area (we had a trip planned before the 1st Sangalaki closing), but our goal now is to hit the areas we've missed and some other off the beaten path locations. You never know what you might find.

Lastly, we made enough trips now that we have many friends and acquaintances. Getting there has become less daunting. It's still a good value compared to say, breakfast in Cayman. :)

Another thing I love beyond some of the best diving on Earth and truly great diversity, is the large number of destinations within Indonesia to choose from. Tired of Lembeh? Try Ambon. Looking to get off the beaten track discover Alor. Think you've done it all? Get a group together and do some exploratory diving. Next on my list is Alor and another trip to Ambon. Maybe I should throw Bangka into the mix too?

Back
Top Bottom