Why do you Love diving Indonesia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dirtfarmer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I Love diving in Indonesia. I'm hopelessly hooked and I can't see any way out of my addiction except to dive there as much as I can. I recently returned from a epic trip which included a two days diving in Ambon before I started a crossing trip from Ambon thru the Banda Sea to Raja Ampat. The diving in Ambon impressed me even though I was only able to make a few dives there in limited locations. The crossing trip was EPIC with schools of Hammerheads in the Banda Sea, Manuk Island which is known for having lots of sea snakes, ( and in the morning, incredible bird watching seeing all the birds circling before heading out to sea to feed for the day) and Koon Island . Then after the Banda Sea, we headed to my first exposure to the fantastic diving of Raja Ampat. We dived 4 days in the Misool area and upon surfacing after my first dive on "Boo Windows" I had confirmed for myself that the diving in Raja Ampat is truely epic! Huge schools of fish of many kinds, amazing sea fan gardens, spectacular soft coral of every color and the wonderful underwater topography that the Misool area brings to the table. The Misool area is my favorite of Raja Ampat as it has such great sites with huge schools of fish, and some we had really good Oceanic Manta action. They are truly beautiful, amazing, giant, and graceful creatures, and it was my first time seeing Oceanic's.

Then since I turned 50 this year, (the age that many people come to grips with their mortality buy a sports car and divorce their wife), I decided instead to double up and spend another 10 days diving from a liveaboard in the North/Central/South of Raja Ampat. Yes 20 days! of liveaboard diving and I can say it was the trip of my lifetime. On the second liveaboard we started out diving the Misool area for 4 days which I was more than happy to dive some more. Then we cruised up North to the Penemu area and I again was impressed with the diving. There is some amazing hard coral gardens, with corals sized larger than I have ever seen. The visibility wasn't the best so I made the best of it and shot some black and white photos which really accent the shape and texture of the coral gardens. Our next area we dove was the Wayag area which brought back the profusion of colorful soft coral that I so love, loads of fish and more Manta action. Next was diving the Gam area where I finally was able to see my first "Bamboo walking shark" so cute, so shy and the topping on a amazing night dive. Lastly we finished up in the Kri area diving the Dampier Strait which brought fast currents, more fishy dive sites, and even a pregnant black tip reef shark. And to top it all off while my wife was home having Thanksgiving with friends I was having a tasty BBQ of shrimp, chicken, and fish on the beach watching fruit bats take off to feed and an incredible sunset.

After quite a few trips to Indonesia and one more soon to come I'm hopelessly addicted. In this years Scuba Diving Magazine readers choice awards in the Pacific and Indian Oceans regions, Indonesia takes the top spot in "Best Overall diving", "Healthiest Marine Environment", "Best Underwater Photography", and "Best Macro".

I know why I love diving in Indonesia.
Why do you?

The quality of Indo diving is a no-brainer, from North Sulawesi to Raja Ampat, the Banda Sea, and on to Bali. But what puts Indonesia over the top for us is the people, the sweet, smiling, generous Indonesians. And a dive trip there, either liveaboard or land-based, often means the bonus of the boat crew and guides, or the resort staff, pulling out the musical instruments for a wonderful evening. I'd go back in a New York minute just for the people. If I'm lucky enough, I can do that sometime on a one-way ticket.

Last edited:
Why wouldn't you love it. 20 days live aboard diving in clear warm water with bucket loads to see, is what I dream of, from the days when I had a job.

I changed from Lembeh to Bali so that I could see a lot of macro stuff in clearer water than Lembeh, and it has become a standard spot once or twice a year for the last 5 years.

I am an average photographer but even my stuff looks good.

The Philippines is the other place I must go back to as it was amazing when I dived there 17 years ago.

TBH while I love diving Indo and my passport reflects this, yes the biodiversity is awesome, but PNG to me just edges it out on the diving quality overall and culture of PNG compared to Indonesian Papua is to me far more interesting although my trip to Ternate was a very very personal thing as I crew on a tall ship that left there to discover this great southern land I live on. Im also a geographer who has followed the steps of Wallace without really realising it until I was sitting on a LOB but by the same token PNG has interesting geomorphology however, its a PITA for me to get to PNG and up until LOBs and land based ops particularly in N.Sulawesi decided to chase after the US market and started charging in USD it was a lot more affordable for me to dive Indo. Now sadly not as affordable as it once was but I do have trips this year booked to Indo again. I love the crew on the LOB I have been on for the last couple of trips but find I have a love/hate relationship with parts of Indo - Bali - specifically Kuta because of drunken Aussies and drunken Russians and Aceh because of socio political reasons. Ive been home from Thailand three days and while the diving sucked I actually realised how much I love Thai people and their food, culture and sense of humour.
Indo's starting point for me is a 3 hour $99 flight away, PNG is 7 hours and triple that although now the USD thing has come in PNG is starting to call again. A week in N.Sulawesi used to cost me less than 2k including all diving and food and accommodation land based, now its approaching double that. I spent a grand total of $1600 for the same duration in Thailand however the diving sucks now but I had a great time catching up with old friends.

Do I love diving Indo? yes. Will I continue to dive Indo? yes. However it will not be the only place I head to for every trip for the rest of the time I have on this planet to travel and dive.

We will be doing Komodo/Bali this July.

Supposed to landing in Sorong as I write this........ Sometime sh*t just happens and thankful we have trip insurance.

As for USD, Misool Eco switched to USD from Euro's, so paying around $6000+ additional for next year isn't happening with a USD:CDN of 1:1.40
So close...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Convenience and cost.

It's close to Australia, and a long weekend in Bali isn't out of the question. It's also cheap compared to most of the Australian-Pacific region.

Plus, the diving isn't half bad...

I also prefer PNG to be brutally honest. For me PNG is even more convenient in terms of flights. Admittedly it's more expensive than Indonesia, but I prefer the diving in PNG. It's significantly less crowded, I like the culture, and the style of diving more suits my preferences.

Brought to you from hijacked wifi in Jakarta airport while I wait for my connection to Sorong!

---------- Post added December 19th, 2015 at 09:33 PM ----------

We will be doing Komodo/Bali this July.

Supposed to landing in Sorong as I write this........ Sometime sh*t just happens and thankful we have trip insurance.

As for USD, Misool Eco switched to USD from Euro's, so paying around $6000+ additional for next year isn't happening with a USD:CDN of 1:1.40
So close...

Oh dear. What happened? Hope nothing too serious.

Last edited:
My wife got tossed off a horse 4 weeks ago and broke her humorous. Thankfully that's all it was. She got thrown into the side of the arena hard, thankfully she had a good helmet but she couldn't move and was alone for half an hour until someone heard her cries. It's healing well and I'm planning next years holiday trip. To Cozumel.

Humerus. I know it's not funny.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humerus

Hope she heals well!

- Bill

I thought it didn't look quite right.. No not funny. She is taking up kayaking in the spring.
We played a game the other day, where would we be. Boarding the plane to CGK, laying over at the Sheraton, landing in Sorong. Oh well. Thank god for trip insurance. I'm still waiting for Express Air to refund Misool so I can put the final claim in. Thankfully I'll get back USD which will cover the Coz trip and the Bali portion on July's great adventure. Paid off the Arenui with an 80c $, yesterday was 71.6c. LOB's will be out for a while, with 3 of us and the USD they are pushing $2200CDN+ per day!

Thanks for the good wishes!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom