Why do you Lie?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How does me diving solo prompt anyone to lie?
@Firefyter: Is it possible that other divers might feel the same way you do about diving with inexperienced buddies on vacation...yet choose (for whatever reason) not to dive solo?

@Firefyter: Is it possible that other divers might feel the same way you do about diving with inexperienced buddies on vacation...yet choose (for whatever reason) not to dive solo?

It's entirely possible. In that case, I hold them responsible as well. They have just agreed to do a dive they didn't want to do rather than man up and either abort or dive solo, whichever they are comfortable with.

If you've just agreed to instabuddy with a new or inexperienced diver, you've just agreed to be responsible for them to a degree. That's the whole premise of the buddy system, to be responsible for and accountable to each other.

I'm not willing to do that, hence the decision to solo. If you are willing to do that, be a buddy. Period.

Reactions: Jax
In the only case I ever saw where this happened, I suppose it might be called pride or competitiveness, but I don't think either term is exactly right.

It was in my early diving days in Cozumel, and on a day of diving, there was a buddy team of two close friends, and one of them went through air much faster than the other. In fact, much faster than anyone else in our dive group. The DM was very carefully about checking everyone's pressure, and he turned the dive when this diver reached a reasonably conservative PSI level.

The next day we had the same group, and the DM was again careful about checking pressures. The guy who was going through his air quickly the day before was doing much better. After a while, the DM got suspicious and grabbed his SPG. It was obvious what he must have seen, because the DM was furious. We began an immediate ascent.

Why did he lie? I guess he was embarrassed about being the reason the dives were cut short the day before, but it is more than embarrassment. the rest of the group could have had a longer dive if it were not for him, and I think he felt bad about that. Since we had all surfaced with ample reserves the day before, he probably decided he would just go deeper into his reserves, assuming it was only himself he was putting at any risk. It's a peer pressure sort of thing, but in a way there is a hint of misguided altruism in the motivation.

Reactions: Jax
You may have something there, John. One more reason to find an op that you're comfortable with. My usual op won't turn the dive in a case like that. You and your buddy go up when one of you is low, the rest of the divers proceed. The only time I've ever been asked to come up as a group was on Barracuda, for obvious reasons.

You may have something there, John. One more reason to find an op that you're comfortable with. My usual op won't turn the dive in a case like that. You and your buddy go up when one of you is low, the rest of the divers proceed. The only time I've ever been asked to come up as a group was on Barracuda, for obvious reasons.

In this case, and I suspect others, it would have made no difference. It may have made it worse. The man's buddy had the best air consumption rate in the group. I know that on the day I was buddied with someone who took me to the surface with 1,800 PSI on both dives, the diver was mortified about "ruining" my dive. I did my best to tell him it was OK, but he definitely felt bad about it.

"Not off me" "wouldn't dive with a diver that wouldn't notice" - you have got to be kidding. I too know an instructor that could easily clip and unclip an spg without you noticing.

No, he could do it without YOU noticing. Clearly. I'm not an idiot and I'm very aware of everything around me during a dive. I don't bang into the reef, I don't bang into other divers and I stay in the back were I don't have anyone banging into me. I also know what someone else's reg sounds like when it's getting close to me.

I know divers that don't do that and it can get pretty funny at times. Was diving with a group in the Bahamas a while back and someone started this joke of seeing how many clothes pins they could clip onto you during a dive. One girl swam past me the last day of the trip with at least 30 on her hoses behind her head. Funny as that is, clandestinely getting a clothes pin on someone and taking their pony are two very different things.

-Charles

No, he could do it without YOU noticing. Clearly. I'm not an idiot and I'm very aware of everything around me during a dive.

A slight drift, but still: The guy has told people up front: "I will remove this piece of equipment from your rig on this dive without you noticing" and gotten replies quite similar to yours. Yet, sure enough ... :wink:

Henrik

fishbowl-2.jpg

I never said anything about privacy. I've had plenty of insta-buddies and we sit down and talk before the dive so we both understand what's going to happen. If I get a bunch of attitude or the feeling that I can't trust them to tell me the truth then I just dive solo. Really now, would you trust someone to save you in an emergency if you DIDN'T trust them to give you an accurate gauge reading?

Not off of me he wouldn't. And not off of any diver I'd want to be with. If someone is so distract that they a) Can't hear another reg 18 inches away, b) Can't feel someone unclippping their crap, and c) Can't feel the bouancy difference when their deco bottle goes away then they really do not belong in the water.

The rules need to suit the situation. In an easy, clear-water drift dive in Cozumel, anything over 1000PSI I just want an "OK" signal. Overhead, deep, wreck, etc requires different rules and conventions. I think we can all agree on that.

I'm also quite sure that any of us would do whatever we could do to help a distressed diver, buddy or otherwise. There are plenty of ways someone could go OOA and not all of them involve lies. Being mentally prepared for the situation goes a long way towards a favorable outcome.

-Charles

Hubris.

It is amazingly easy to lift a stage off someone without them knowing. Really.

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom