Why do divers Cave dive ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like to watch videos of other divers exploring underwater caves, but my claustrophobia is a limiting factor for me. I wasn't always this way. My claustrophobia was triggered by a single incident back in the late '70s. Since then, I have not been able to take tight places. Especially underwater.

I would like to try diving the Ballroom at Ginnie Springs, but I'm not sure I can take being in a confined space underwater.

I admire those who can go back into underwater caves. Unfortunately, I can never do it myself.

To get to see places like this!

Attachments

• Nohoch_HG.jpg
    Nohoch_HG.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 152
When would you like to go Paladin?
Assuming you would be in FL while I was I would be happy to dive with you in the Ballroom at Ginnie.
There are pretty clear cut rules about going in there and we could make very sure you were ready pre dive.
Just an offer for you to ponder I go usually go down end of Oct./Nov. and in the spring as well with other trips in between.

I have dove with my wife and daughter OW divers only in the Ballroom it is a great place as well as several other sights open to OW divers in the area.
As others have mentioned after you visit you will know if it is for you or not.
Not all cave is tight or small in cave jargon but that is for an individual to determine!
The only environment I have found that feels like I am home, warm and fuzzy.
Like my favorite blanket! I am not afraid of the dark.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

Last edited:
Not all cave is tight or small in cave jargon but that is for an individual to determine!

Very true. It also gets more and more open as you dive more. I remember when I first went through the Peanut Tunnel. I thought that was tight!

When you come down, let me know. I will try to drive up if you want to get some easy simple fun dives in.

I would love to go cave diving - just because it seems so wonderful with what nature has managed to do over thousands of years.

But when I will eventually start cave diving, I am pretty sure I won't be the one that goes in miles at a time.

CamG,
I'm having what I hope will be the last surgery on my neck on the 9th of August, followed by eight to ten, maybe twelve, weeks before I can do anything like diving again. Plus, I will be teaching college classes this fall. I am hoping to go to Florida with my boys either over the Thanksgiving break or the Christmas break. If you happen to be down there while we're there, I would be most happy to have you join us. I would like to try Ginnie, but if I suddenly head for the entrance, please have patience with me.

Here's why I say this:

This was posted on another thread.

It happened in the summer of 1978. The equipment consisted of a Healthways steel 72, Aqua-Lung Aquarius regulator, White Stag Deep SPG, USD Atlantis mask, USD Otarie fins, 5 pounds on a USD weight belt, USD diver's knife. I had just bought the Aquarius and this was my first dive with a single hose regulator

One year, when I was just a kid, my family went to Tennessee for vacation. While we were there, we visited Tuckaleechee (sp?) Caverns. From that time on, I was fascinated by caves. By the time I reached my early twenties, I had spent thousands of hours exploring underground and crawling through some pretty tight places. I even became a member of the Tri-State Search and Rescue Team, specializing in cave rescue.

So, when my friend, Fuzz, and I discovered a cave in the rock wall of a man-made lake where we were diving (I'm not going to say where because I don't want to tempt anyone), we decided to check it out.

Yeah, I know. We were young and stupid. I should've known better.

Anyway, Fuzz led the way and I followed him into the cave. The passage was tight and Fuzz kicked up the sediment to the point where I couldn't see squat. I groped along behind him, hands out in front, trying to keep up. Then, I suddenly found myself in clear water and Fuzz was nowhere in sight. I switched off my light to see if I could detect his light. Nada. Black as Hades. At that moment, I felt my tank grate against the ceiling for an instant, then come free.

I realized that I must have taken a side passage and was separated from Fuzz. I started to back out, but couldn't. I was stuck. My tank was lodged in a depression in the ceiling and I couldn't move. My first thought was to simply unbuckle my harness and slip out from under the tank, then pull it out of the cave after me, but the passage was too tight and I couldn't get my hand down to my waist to release the buckle. I thought about cutting the harness away at the shoulders but my knife was strapped to my leg, out reach.

Out of options, all I could do was watch the needle of my SPG as my air slowly ran out. I thought about my parents and my girlfriend. I thought about how stupid I was and I wondered how long it would be before someone found my body.

At 500 psi, my J valve started honking its audible warning. At 300 psi it would cut off and I couldn't reach the rod to turn on the reserve. Panic was about to set in when I felt something moving along my left leg. It moved up to my waist and I felt a tug at my harness buckle. Then, something grabbed my ankles and yanked me backward and free. I pulled my tank after me and followed Fuzz back out to open water. On the way, I had to open the reserve. I haven't been in a flooded cave since and I can't take tight places. I have to be sedated for an MRI.

Paladin thank you for posting your story.
I have had a come to Jesus moment while cave diving as well.
It is very difficult to get back on the horse so to speak and I will understand totally if you need to bail.
This is supposed to be fun and enjoyable not a torturers delight.

My incident was born out of a trust me dive gone bad!
If there are any divers of any level reading this trust me dives are a BAD idea!
If you are not adequately trained to do the dive DONT DO THE DIVE!
The 200' feet of swimming while seeing family members and making deals with God all the while wondering if I would make it to my stage bottle was the most intense dive I have been on.
I WILL NEVER AGAIN DO A DIVE LIKE THAT!

Now we outline our dives, go over the route, PLAN OUR GAS, determine if we all are comfortable to do it.
Talk about what ifs, and then if anything feels awry we start over from scratch.
What I have found is that some days dives are ok and other days they are not.
When it is a NOT OK day we alter the plan and do a simpler or nat as challenging dive.

Several of my most memorable "Enjoyed" dives have been on these simple dives.
While you dive relaxed, YOU SEE SO MUCH MORE!

Paladin I have had your dive in my dreams several times and it always ends the same.
You are wise to ease back into it but if you like it seek some more training.
I took a considerable amount of time to seek out the right instructor to finish my Cave training with.
It was so worth it he pushed me to master skills that would help keep issues from being fatal.
The most important one is follow the rules!

Message me when you make your dive dates and I will see what is going on.
Our second winter trip is not planned yet and pondering a New Years trip.
Safe dives all, please heed the words written in this post I was lucky and lived to tell other have not!

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

Cave diving is a rather difficult thing to explain IMO. I think it’s a collective of various things that make it what it is. You really start to understand who you are as a person, what you are made of and how you perform and act in stressful situations.

The personal thoughts and feelings when you first learn the art of caving during the training is a humbling experience. During a lost line session in my training we where staggered (10m apart)on a primary line with all lights off. The instructor would then collect each diver in turn and take them away from the primary line in various directions, switch off his own light and let the diver start the process of finding the line in total darkness. It’s here waiting for your turn, all “alone” within a cave and in a darkness you never experienced before that you start to get to know yourself a lot better. Diving in a heavily silted out passage, exiting in zero vis….. It’s all extremely fulfilling to execute the required skills with other like-minded divers.

Cave diving relaxes me and especially clears the mind of every day stresses, problems and thoughts. I am generally a very stressed individual but the moment I start loading my kit in the car every else “disappears”. I totally “shut off” the moment I drop below the water and the focus and awareness of the environment around is just something you can’t explain.

As a technical individual that loves detail, I especially enjoy the planning, equipment consideration and risk analysis that needs to be performed to safely execute caving.

Diving and executing as a team (only 2 or 3 divers) is extremely fulfilling that builds friendships.

Lastly, the clear water and beauty of the caves are just something unique. Its all these thing and more that make cave diving very, very addictive and fulfilling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom