Why do Dive Centers and Professionals do it to themselves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had trouble with some site last month. They told me that Chrome was the browser for which they had optimized and I needed to use Chrome. Told them I don't use Chrome and that they needed to slap their webmaster.

Now that I think about it, it might have been SSI.

Ha! #WhyIchosePADI :)

@divinh

If a dive shop comes across a c-card from "Master Divers", what would they know of them?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Or about @drbills 150 year old LA Co UIA card ?

What do you know about LA Co UIA ?

SDM

This was exactly the scenario I recalled when I wrote my response. I might have read Dr. Bill's or one of your posts about LA Co UIA being "unknown", while being one of the firsts.

Ha! #WhyIchosePADI :)
Yeah, my one online experience with PADI was a complete disaster. MUCH happier with SSI online. #WhyIchoseSSI. :)

Like it or not, PADI's marketing is something that should be studied in B-schools. I've never worked in a startup, but with those that I know in my industry who have, the successful companies were excellent at marketing, regardless of the quality of the product. It comes down to the average customer just not knowing any better. How many people before they start diving come to this website and ask "hey, I'm thinking about getting into scuba diving. Any advice of what to look for?"

I know I didn't. And SB exists LONG before I started diving.

I agree with nearly everything you wrote, but you give google too much credit for having principles.
You're missing the point. I don't give them or any other browser any credit. I take ownership of my privacy. I lock those cyber doors and keep all intruders out. I don't even trust those duck people. I trust me. Only me. I hope this helps.

Told them I don't use Chrome
Firefox is my browser of choice, but I still have no script set on stun. It's the malicious scripts that get you. That, and if you have admin privileges, then any malware can bull right in, make itself at home, slow you down and give up all your secrets.

X agency provides theory material that is verbose, boring and up 100% overpriced. ( Online Video and a storing a record of Certification won't cost more than a couple of dollars).
IO

I actually think most of the PADI texts are quite good quality learning materials. They are not cheap to create - I'm talking creating the content here, not printing the manuals.

For comparison I have a first aid manual in my hands produced by my provincial worksafe agency that has a page long list of editors with various high level degrees - and it is much worse than the PADI materials.

I agree, I generally found them well written, organized and thought out.

Yeah, my one online experience with PADI was a complete disaster. MUCH happier with SSI online. #WhyIchoseSSI. :)

How long ago was that? There were some glitches, mainly in selecting between IOS vs. computer based learning for me. Otherwise it worked just fine.

Firefox is my browser of choice, but I still have no script set on stun. It's the malicious scripts that get you. That, and if you have admin privileges, then any malware can bull right in, make itself at home, slow you down and give up all your secrets.
What do you think of Tor?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom