Why do Advanced Open Water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divers,

I took padi open water over 30 years ago, in Okinawa, Japan, great course, very demanding, a week of classes, 2-3 hours a night, 5 consecutive days in the pool, swimming length after length, equipment fam's, emergency drills etc.. then 2 days swimming around in the ocean with full gear , horse collar bc's for some and Mae Wests for the rest, just to get our legs in shape, practice some entrance and exit drills and learn respect for the water, first 2 dives were to 40', with an emergency ascent from that depth, tank ditch etc.... 3rd and 4th dives were to 80', with a ditch at 65' for those who wanted to give it a shot, (all did). Next dives were to 120', 100' and 100' (really not much to see at that depth) prior to our check out day, which consisted of 3 repetitive day dives first to a max 120', 80' then 60' feet and culminating with a midnight dive, What I remember was that open water allowed us to dive to the sport limit which was 130' so at the time we had no need to get an advanced open water cert. This type of training was standard in Okinawa, seems that today's open water is more of a familiarization, and AOW is more on par with how we were trained, don't know but it most likely relates to cash, having to pay each and everytime we advance or they change the rules, it's the color of money I suspect. I do have to agree, that constant training and knowledge is paramount, and it bodes well for us to keep sharp, but with close to 500 dives, I'm more than capable of diving to the sport limit, no computer, just good old dive tables, training and common sense. I don't mind paying for valuable information and certs, like nitrox, cave, rescue, divemaster, etc... but I can't see paying someone for an additonal AOW cert for something I already know and have a demonstrated proficency with, might be an outdated veiw but it just my view and I'm sticking to it, if padi decides to change the cert regs then, it might be time to look elsewhere for training, frankly there should be just one cert for everyone, YMCA, NAUI PADI, IND, NASDS, MILSPEC, it still just SCUBA. End of Rant:14:

GA Under Water:
I am falling completely in love with that "Just Go Dive" slogan around here. :popcorn:

I had a buddy from work charge me $15 a Class. Did I take Adventure? you betcha, AOW, got it more specialties?? HA HA HA DANG straight.

I can already read it, I didn't get taught correctly because it was a buddy. Work Buddy, means I have seen him around work.
Sounds like a Comrade Diver to me.:D

Sandtiger Steve:
Never once was i told i couldn't join a dive because i didn't have AOW.

I had the worst experience with that, I was is Roatan at Luna Beach and was going to do a night dive but the DM's said you had to have 50 dives or AOW!!!

fisherdvm:
You are confirming your prejudice, and hypocrisy.... Their entry level course sucked.... confirm what you have been preaching all along.... PADI has inadequate standard, and their minimal standard is too low..

But when someone suggest that a new diver take a course to complement the inadequate PADI course, you chose to shoot it down.

AOW does not address the inadequacies of the PADI OW course. I wish it did.

When we went to Indonesia, the first dive op we were with asked to see our cert cards. I had brought my OW card, because I don't generally haul around all the cards I collected. They put me on a list as restricted to 80 feet. Most of the others were not, and I wondered why that was . . . Turns out they had all brought Deep specialty cards, or were DMs or instructors. That's the only place anybody's ever seemed to care, and it didn't make any practical difference, because none of our dives were that deep, anyway, mine or any of the other groups.

My AOW was five more dives with an instructor. It's what I wanted, and most of what I got. On the other hand, my mentor's AOW class has TEETH. I'm not sure I could pass it today (it's got a really nasty midwater navigation dive in it that I still have nightmares about, having tried it). I don't think there are many like Ber's and Bob's.

Classes with teeth is all I would ever ask for, kudos to those instructors that offer a good bite in the rear class.... Hmmmm they don't cover compass navigation in todays standard open water ? what are the teaching? Sport diving is really not that complicated or difficult, some training and experience goes a long way, good site prep and competent divemaster adds to the safety factor, Train to the level of diving you want to explore. I for one am happy with the open water cert I have had for 30+ years, in the future and with time permitting I may explore the advantages of nitrox and maybe some other certs but, deep diving and extreme wreck diving isn't really my cup of tea, I just rather stay shallow and enjoy the abundant sea life... Just me

TSandM:
... I don't think there are many like Ber's and Bob's.
Darn few. Most post-entry level training is occupied with attempted remediation of skills not skill advancement.

If you find the right instructor AOW is a very educational and rewarding experience.

Just like OW the difference is the instructor.

I had a great AOW instructor and it improved my overall skills more than experience alone ever could have.

jpsexton:
If you find the right instructor AOW is a very educational and rewarding experience.

Just like OW the difference is the instructor.

I had a great AOW instructor and it improved my overall skills more than experience alone ever could have.

It is not the instructor. It is not the content of the program. It has to do with the organization.

In the words of the great Jedi Master Thalassamia and Master Walter, you are wasting big money being taught Cr** if you signed up for PADI AOW.

Join the dark side, and you will be floating on air (of arrogance)...

fisherdvm:
She's a slave driver and tougher than a drill sergeant.

Have you been talking to my students again? "Task Master" is the phrase they usually use although "Are you insane?" does run a close second :D We still manage to have a lot of fun though!
Ber :lilbunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom