Why dive wrecks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teamcasa

Sr. Moderator
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999

On a recent dive the subject of diving shipwrecks came up. My position has always been that they don’t interest me much. I have no real interest in seeing some derelict ship, boat or whatever on the bottom of the sea. I see junk all the time on the surface, why waste a perfectly good dive looking at a pile of scrap.

I am however interested in historical sites but not to dive inside a wreck but to see it in context of its historical significance. For example, I would love to dive in Ulithi as it has significance to me historically and personally. I would not want to disturb anything or penetrate any of the ships but would not mind seeing how the sea has begun reclaim them.

I do appreciate those who have interest in discovering new wreck sites in order to clarify history and leaving it intact as well as respecting the fact that these sites are a grave for many brave souls.

Dave

On a recent dive the subject of diving shipwrecks came up. My position has always been that they don’t interest me much. I have no real interest in seeing some derelict ship, boat or whatever on the bottom of the sea. I see junk all the time on the surface, why waste a perfectly good dive looking at a pile of scrap.

I am however interested in historical sites but not to dive inside a wreck but to see it in context of its historical significance. For example, I would love to dive in Ulithi as it has significance to me historically and personally. I would not want to disturb anything or penetrate any of the ships but would not mind seeing how the sea has begun reclaim them.

I do appreciate those who have interest in discovering new wreck sites in order to clarify history and leaving it intact as well as respecting the fact that these sites are a grave for many brave souls.

Dave

I don't care too much about the wreck itself, except maybe some of the U-boats. I'm there for the marine life, and a wreck around here that's been down for even a couple of years has tons and tons of marine life... some of which you won't find on the reefs just a few hundred yards away.

I agree with Scubakev. The wreck itself is OK but doesn't thrill me...it's the possibility of seeing odd or BIG life. Same with ruins on land. People come to Belize to see Mayan ruins. I don't even go 25 miles to see one. Not really interested unless they had some weird bird nesting on them or something.

Wrecks are only of interest to me if they are covered in marine life (and therefore likely older ones rather than recent ships-to-reefs type sinkings) OR if they have specific historical significance to me (such as the old steamships that used to travel to Catalina or our local Catalina wrecks). I have little to no desire to penetrate them or take items from them (unless it is a chest full of Spanish doubloons to finance my underwater filmaking and dive travel!).

However, I can understand the fascination of others with wrecks as features of historical interest, and (to a lesser degree) as technical diving challenges.

I absolutely love the wrecks. They are my favorite things to see. I think that it is amazing to be able to explore and "fly" all around and into these huge structures. I feel like superman "flying" around and able to move in all three dimensions in order to investigate up-close and explore the ships. I also do believe in doing so with as minimal amount of disturbance as possible to the wreck.

As for wrecks (not to be confused with artificial reefs), I view them as time capsules--"bottles with messages in them from the past". I think it's fascinating to see the technology, culture, and just the evidence of daily lives of those who came before us. It helps us understand who we are and how we got the way we are.
As for those artificial reefs--ships and structures sunk to promote marine growth--I'm fascinated by those, too, but for different reasons. I enjoy being amazed and awed by the diversity of life found on them, regardless of whether the reef is a ship that was sunk on purpose, an "accidental" sinking, a casualty of war, or even a decommissioned oil platform that was left as an "artificial island".
It's all a source of wonder.

I don't care too much about the wreck itself, except maybe some of the U-boats. I'm there for the marine life, and a wreck around here that's been down for even a couple of years has tons and tons of marine life... some of which you won't find on the reefs just a few hundred yards away.

I agree, it's the unique sealife that holds my interest, the the rusting hulk.

Dave

I enjoy diving the wrecks in the Great Lakes for the following reasons:

1. I've always been fascinated by history. I enjoy studying the history of a wreck, its significance within its own historical context, and then going down and seeing it in person.
2. Not alot of marine life in the Great Lakes, but what there is can be found in and around the wrecks.
3. I find it fascinating in an almost other worldly sense to descend and see something that is there but yet doesn't belong.
4. I just find them visually stunning, when the viz is decent that is! The light filtering through the green water, the shadows, the cold water ... it is invigorating and fascinating!

I also love reefs and kelp forests too! I'm not strictly a wreck diver, but I do love to get out on the Great Lakes 3-4 times a season.

The Great Lakes have amazing shipwrecks. It is great fun to learn the history of the ships, their sinking and of the equipment used on them when afloat. Just last Sunday we dove on an 1860's wreck that was a steam powered paddle wheel ship and then a Civil War Brig. They were awesome dives. Then again, you don't dive the great lakes for the colorful fish and amazing reefs. We are lucky to have so many INTERESTING wrecks.

Back
Top Bottom