Why dive Deep Air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In France, adequately certified recreational divers (French CMAS *** divers and above) are allowed (by French law) to dive down to 60 meters/200 feet using only air (also for deco). Same for commercial and military divers. Whether good or bad, it keeps it simple (say stupid if you prefer).

So what people call "deep" or "reasonable" is also a matter of culture.

By the way, why penetrate in wrecks ? I wouldn't do that for leisure :)

Decompression diving was common, long before the "Tech" agencies were born.

Perhaps it's a mixture of culture, preconceived ideas and a sign of the times we live in. It's like not giving your teenage son the car to go to the Mall (which has been determined to be too far away, although it's just a couple of miles). A person's preconceived ideas can limit them if they allow them to.

As was mentioned in the other thread, the Andria Doria has been done on air (160-240') for almost 30 years before Helium was used on the wreck (I dove on her in 1980 with a group of Navy Divers). Now many people consider it something that just can't be done without Helium.

Certainly the appropriate training and experience is required, but as this isn't quickly attained, it's far easier to take short training courses that "qualify" you for such a dive on Trimix. It is another way, a safer way perhaps (which is debatable), but not the only way.

. Now many people consider it something that just can't be done without Helium.

Please name even one diver who does not think it is possible to do this dive on air. Just one.

Sure, plenty of people think it's a much better dive on Helium (safer, let's you remember more, etc).

Of the 15 divers who died on this wreck, how many of them were on air vs. mix?

When you see boats going to this wreck today, why do you think almost all divers choose mix over air?

Please name even one diver who does not think it is possible to do this dive on air. Just one.

PfcAJ for one. Perhaps you should read the thread.

Of the 15 divers who died on this wreck, how many of them were on air vs. mix?

I couldn't honestly say. Perhaps you have read the cause of death for each and every incident and can list the causes of death for me.

When you see boats going to this wreck today, why do you think almost all divers choose mix over air?

I wouldn't be surprised that many of the divers diving the wreck likely don't possess the experience to do the dive safely on any gas, but I can't say for sure. What do you think?

PfcAJ for one. Perhaps you should read the thread.

Fail. He just wouldn't do that dive himself on air. He clearly recognizes that others have done so, thus he understands it CAN be done. You don't seem to read very well.

I couldn't honestly say. Perhaps you have read the cause of death for each and every incident and can list the causes of death for me.

Your laziness isn't going to gain you much credit.

I wouldn't be surprised that many of the divers diving the wreck likely don't possess the experience to do the dive safely on any gas, but I can't say for sure. What do you think?

Again, too lazy to investigate? Lack of experience has nothing to do with what constitutes a better gas choice. If you think people are going to have more fun doing 250' dives on air, that's cool. Most doing this particular wreck have simply realized that for them, it's more fun with a clear head.

someone_is_wrong_on_the_internet1.jpg

Fail. He just wouldn't do that dive himself on air. He clearly recognizes that others have done so, thus he understands it CAN be done. You don't seem to read very well.

His point is that it can't be done safely.

Your laziness isn't going to gain you much credit.

You elude to something without any facts to support your position. If you wish to discuss matters, you can start by outlining your position rather than just asking leading questions that you don't have the answers for.

Lack of experience has nothing to do with what constitutes a better gas choice. If you think people are going to have more fun doing 250' dives on air, that's cool. Most doing this particular wreck have simply realized that for them, it's more fun with a clear head.

Experience has a lot to do with a diving the Doria safely. I'm not aware of the cause of death for every unfortunate diver who has died on this wreck. I do know some of them which include: heart attack, decompression complications and entrapment. All of these were done on air and narcosis wasn't deemed to be a factor. If you have specific information on others, I would be interested in hearing more.

Experience has a lot to do with a diving the Doria safely. I'm not aware of the cause of death for every unfortunate diver who has died on this wreck. I do know some of them which include: heart attack, decompression complications and entrapment. All of these were done on air and narcosis wasn't deemed to be a factor. If you have specific information on others, I would be interested in hearing more.

Just out of curiosity, what's your opinion on the Rouse's. Both died, both were experienced in deep air, both were mix certified, but chose to dive air instead for financial reasons. Evidence points to narcosis being the pivotal event that caused their death. Any thoughts on that?

I think it was more the son finally reached his panic threshold when the mouth piece leaked when they were on the up line after being trapped in the sub lost control and made a dash for the surface, concerned for his son his Dad decided to roll the dice and followed him up regardless of air or trimix. Lets face it if the reg mouth piece had not mal functioned when on the up line would they have made it to the surface with a more manageable DCS hit, did junior Rouses age come into play when trying to control his panic who knows for sure?

Just out of curiosity, what's your opinion on the Rouse's. Both died, both were experienced in deep air, both were mix certified, but chose to dive air instead for financial reasons. Evidence points to narcosis being the pivotal event that caused their death. Any thoughts on that?

Although it doesn't matter, this wasn't on the Doria, but the U-Who (220'). I've read a report saying it was equipment related, but didn't hear any more. Do you have more specific information on this?

I certainly can see that narcosis is a mitigating factor, but is not usually the cause. If the diver is trained and experienced, he will terminate the dive if it goes too far.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom