Why did you go Tech, or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have drifted steadily toward tech because I live around cold water. It seems to have been a natural drift.

If the water is all cold to bloody cold, you are incredibly much happier and comfortable with a drysuit.
Once you have on a drysuit and undersuit, you need a fair bit of weight. Might as well carry it as doubles instead of clumps of lead around your waist. It's even much more comfortable that way.
Once you have the doubles, it's easy to start diving deeper and longer to see the wrecks or walls or whatever you would have missed out on before.
And then you start to notice some friends with mixed gases...

As the health class videos once warned, it's a slow, sly and slippery slope that can lead you toward addiction :no:

Reactions: Jax
So have you gone Tech - deco, caves, wreck, and deep?

Over the years, definitions have changed. When I was first certified in 1965, there was no such thing as tech diving (or cave, wreck or deep diving for that matter). If you and your buddy had the experience, you made a dive plan and if the conditions warranted, you made the dive. When I was 18, I was taught Cave diving by George Benjamin (discover of the Andros Island Blue Holes) and was employed to dive these caves extensively (none of us were certified cave divers but applied workable techniques). At 19, I entered the Navy as a diver and became familiar with the use of Helium and CCR. After I left the Navy, I was employed as a commercial mixed-gas instructor, later going to the offshore industry as a saturation diver. I currently teach recreational and technical diving.

"Going Tech" is such an ambiguous term, although I do understand what you mean. I have not chosen to "Go Tech" because I am a recreational diver. I like to take pictures on shallow reefs because frankly, you see more sea life there than deep. I will admit, there can be some very interesting things deep, but I rarely go there. I use the same basic set up I started with in 1988, I have not seen a need or reason to change. I am Nitrox certified and that takes care of the range of depths that I may go to and fits my needs.

"Technical Equipment" has come to mean a backplate and wing, long hose, etc, etc.. Tried it and hated it, for me the wing traps too much air and causes you to have to contort yourself to dump all of the air. I use a Scubapro Classic Sport BC. I use the dreaded Air II (OMG, I am going to die!) and I love it. I have been using it since 1988 and have used it when confronted with another diver that had an OOA situation. He had my primary, I had my Air II, and he was close. I had control of him and if he had been on a long hose, I could not have controlled his ascent.

So, I am the opposite of the "Tech" divers, I have a blast, and I continue to enjoy diving. This, to me at least is why I dive.

In the 80's and early 90's I was big into spearfishing, and was always looking for the "Lost Elephant's Graveyard"...the unknown and unspoiled place which had been safe and hidden from mankind for the last 10,000 years. My search for the BIG ecosystem, the huge fish, and the clouds of baitfish interfering with the 150 foot visibility, led me deeper and deeper. By the 90's I was deeper than 140 nearly every week...dive sites Like the Hole in the Wall and the areas in it's vicinity at 155, were intensely packed with life when compared to the recreational norms.
As my buddies and I began doing the deeper wrecks from 165 to 285, we quickly realized that this was time traveling, and the underwater world in these deep sites could be fantastic, though dangerous. The search led some of us like me to locate the sites of old fisherman's yarns, "the spike in the middle of no-where", in very deep water, that filled their boats with fish in the blink of an eye....most of these were pinacle formations, covered in deep water occulina corals...Sites unknown to divers in Florida. Other buddies like George Irvine, gravitated to the deep caves in some sort of "Journey to the Center of the Earth" kind of mission, where they would go where "No man had gone before", and see first hand the insides of aquifers and geologic structures only theorized about by hydro-geologists. Personally, I was more interested in the big fish and huge bio-mass of 10,000 years ago, so my caving interest was limited. Today I shoot video instead of a speargun, but the hunt is still much the same :)
Back to the issue of tech training.....
Tech diving is nothing like recreational diving. While the skills of recreational diving are critical to get you to tech diving, in an evolutionary sense, the population of people that can be good recreational divers is enormous, while the population of people that can be good and safe tech divers is tiny.
The vast majority of recreational divers could not possibly become good tech divers, just as they could not become good deep cave divers either. There is a certain "wiring" of the brain that is required for tech or deep cave.... whether this is a defect, or an asset, would be a topic of another discussion :)
The urge to panic has to be absent, and the first instant of emergency awareness must always be the immediate flood of possible optiimal solutions. In the general population of a country like America, MOST people have never existed in a world where they could be killed at any moment, with multiple outside events conspiring to KILL them.
The tech diver needs this, and the tech diver needs the advanced skills to use for the problem solving/solutions.
The problem with most tech training, is that it will ignore the former, and modularize the solution part.
This is why a system like GUE is so superior in my mind, because their program is so intensive, they will find those that can panic, and they will be flunked. They will also NOT compromise of the skills and solution portion, meaning once you have gone through this to the point of reaching a tech pass, you are likely to be a safe tech diver.

In other words, the OP is asking/thinking about, if he should get into tech diving.
I could ramble on for many pages about the cool things you can see between 150 feet and 300 feet. Recreational training agencies telling people there is nothing worthwhile to see below 100 feet is an utter lie, probably borne out of expediance and their lack of screening for people who will not be safe in this area.

For these reasons, I don't think we should tell "divers in general" that they should get into tech diving. Most should not. Those that have always found diving and solutions easy in challenging conditions, should perhaps consider themselves in a small population that can consider this. And it really should be easy....if it is not, I would say this is a big warning flag.

Those of us that do tech dives, are not "better" than the recreational, we are just missing some brain cells that most people have to help them avoid dangerous situations--there is good survival value in this. Since we do not "know any better", we can exist in places some people would say it is stupid for us to be in. It requires a special set of tools, but it also requires this mental wiring difference. Case in point, George and JJ, 3 miles back into a cave/aquifer 280 feet deep, with a 3 hour run back to the mouth of the cave after they began heading back, and a 16 hour deco from a 6 hour dive at 280.... So many opportunities for a dangeous place to kill you, and no way to remove yourself for a huge period of time, if something bad happens...You could say this is an exageration of tech diving, but the issues are largely the same.....real overhead or virtual overhead.

Dan, very good view on the subject of "Tech Diving". Remember when Tech Diving was getting a Nitrox certification? I have gone deep, not as deep as you, but then I am not particularly interested in going deep. My best buddy is my wife and she will not go deep (not very anyway). I have no interest in deep dark holes, so not going there either. As for the panic situation, I believe that anyone can experience the panic attack. How you recognize the onset and how you then deal with it is the difference between living and someone finding you later on the bottom, in the cave, or in the wreck. Hope this isn't too far off topic.

So have you gone Tech - deco, caves, wreck, and deep? Or is there plenty keeping you occupied in the first 130' of water?
Yes, and yes ... I've gone tech ... deco, caves, wreck and deep. And there is plenty keeping me occupied in the first 130 feet of water. I do both ... the latter way more than the former, actually.

So why did I go tech? Well ... there were various reasons ... not the least of which was the same cenote trip Lynne and Peter mentioned earlier (oddly, although cave certified, I have yet to return to Mexico to see what's beyond the cavern zone). But my driving motivation was simple ... a need to know. I wanted to see what was there ... and I wanted to do it in a way that I could reasonably assure myself of coming back.

What initially got me motivated to sign up for classes was local ... the deep walls of the Pacific Northwest are home to several species that don't exist at recreational depths ... and they called to me like a siren song. I signed up for Advanced Nitrox/Deco so I could extend my range down those walls and see what was there.

Then came the Cozumel trip, and the cenotes experience. But I decided to take my cave training in Florida ... thinking that the deeper, high-flow caves would give me more challenging conditions for learning. I wasn't disappointed. Someone recommended an instructor (Jim Wyatt), and after an exchange of a few e-mails, I signed up and went off to learn about caves. It turned out to be a great choice ... although I live far from caves and will never be more than a line-following cave tourist.

During the same time period I decided to get trimix certified, and took a series of course with a great local instructor that expanded my depth limits down to about 250 feet. A few years back I spent a great summer on his boat, with a group of similarly trained divers who were mapping the bottom of Lake Washington. We would "troll" the bottom using side-scan sonar, locate an object, and drop overboard to go see what was down there. Found some really interesting stuff that year, and did several dozen dives in the 200-foot range. I also decided to take a wreck penetration class ... which occurred just prior to my first cave class, and helped prepare me for that environment.

A few months back I decided to hang up my backmount doubles and went to sidemount. I'm enjoying that experience too ... and continuing to learn its nuances. I don't tech dive as much now as I did three or four years ago ... frankly there's plenty to keep me content in the recreational range, and I've scratched that itch that motivated me to find out what was down deeper, and learn what it took to get me there and back again. The knowledge and experience helped me become a better diver overall ... gave me a completely different perspective on recreational diving, and in many ways helped me become a better recreational dive instructor.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

There is a certain "wiring" of the brain that is required for tech or deep cave.... whether this is a defect, or an asset, would be a topic of another discussion :)
The urge to panic has to be absent, and the first instant of emergency awareness must always be the immediate flood of possible optiimal solutions.

Beautifully said, Dan!

Slowly moving into Tech

For me its the option to extend dive time at depth which leads to more exploring which leads to wanting more dive time and on and on
Also I'am using it as an reason to up date all my gear and add some new bits

This is a question that comes to mind now and again. I thought about going the tech route, the dark side, more than once. In the long run I made the right choice staying recreational. There are only a few places where I have any desire to go past 130'. I really like diving, but diving doubles is IMO a big PITA, and yes I have done so a number of times. I have done a lot of diving and generally find plenty to see in the first 130'. I guess I've reached the point where I can draw a line in the sand, and not feel the need to cross it. Rebreathers could sway me but not living in CO as there is not enough diving here.

So have you gone Tech - deco, caves, wreck, and deep? Or is there plenty keeping you occupied in the first 130' of water?

In answer to the first question - Have you "gone Tech" - I'd have to say no, because it's as if I've aways dove that way. I was blessed with an "upbringing" in a University program, where all the things (now technical), were commonplace, and it was just the way we dove.

The second implicit question is if we had exhausted diving interest in depths shallower than 130'. Again I would have to say no. I view all my diving as recreational, whether it be at 30', or 200'; I dive for pleasure, and vary the procedures to fit the dive.

I'd think the diving in your locale certainly makes a difference (regarding your diving style). For example, out on the central California coast, there is plenty to make you invest in technical training, if you are an avid diver. To quote my dear friend Claudette:

"Deep Monterey diving is so beautiful it almost hurts."
HBDiveGirl

All the best, James

There are some clarifications that should be called out: diving with doubles, diving nitrox, using a long hose, staying too long so that your computer flashes "deco" all do not constitute technical diving (at least not in my opinion).

Technical diving is more about procedures, training, preparation and execution than it is about equipment or environment. Any recreational diver can venture to 45m or inside of the overhead environment of a wreck. Risky behavior does not a technical diver make - quite the contrary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom