Why Computers Are Not DIR!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You would rather be fumbling with some stupid chart or doing the calculations in your head or on a dive slate while narc'ed and dealing with the gas switch...makes sense to me.

Mike

mikerault:
You would rather be fumbling with some stupid chart or doing the calculations in your head or on a dive slate while narc'ed and dealing with the gas switch...makes sense to me.

Mike
Furthermore, most divers are not technical divers. Get over yourselves.

dlegros:
What's even funnier is I posted the link on DIRX after stealing it off here!

:)

Dom

The real pity is I don't recall where I got to start with. It just ended up in my inbox from a non-diving friend one day. (knew I dove and had Sun machines). What better to post and share.

mikerault:

Mike

I don't understand the argument. No one is telling you to give up your computer.

It's just that other divers (with probably significantly more experience that either you or I) have chosen a different path and on that seems to allow them to do "significant" dives their way with good results.

I'm not hearing of dozens and dozens of DIR divers who became bent because they didn't use a computer, are you?

So then really, what is it to you?

It really doesn't make much difference to me. I will continue to do what is comfortable to me and others can do the same. I was posing a counter argument to Lamont's post about dealing with a computer while doing a gas switch, which seemed rather contrived to me.

By the way, the link is very funny, I sent it out to all my dive buddies.

Lamont stated his opinion, I stated mine, then you fellows decided to try and stomp me...go figure!

Mike

mikerault:

Lamont stated his opinion, I stated mine, then you fellows decided to try and stomp me...go figure!

Mike

I don't think anyone stomped you :)

I just asked a couple of questions. If it makes a difference, imagine a smiley after each one.

:)

Bjorn

mikerault:
It really doesn't make much difference to me. I will continue to do what is comfortable to me and others can do the same. I was posing a counter argument to Lamont's post about dealing with a computer while doing a gas switch, which seemed rather contrived to me.

You've got a different approach to failure analysis than I do. One of the nice things about the long hose is that the worst-case of getting the reg ripped out of your mouth is just part of the plan with the long hose. Similarly, lost deco gas or computers going on the fritz are not exceptional when doing deco without a computer in the first place. I find that elegant. You don't. *shrug*.

jviehe:
Furthermore, most divers are not technical divers. Get over yourselves.

I've never once attempted to lecture a recreational diver about using a computer, but I also don't really care about how most divers dive. I care about how I dive.

And the question was why DIR divers don't manufacture a DIR computer. The question itself had nothing to do with the vast majority of recreational divers so I didn't bother qualifying my answer.

Moderator's Notice!

This is not the forum to argue computer use. The abstention from computers is DIR protocol, and as the rules of this forum state:

6) The answers in this forum are member's best attempts to answer questions within, and according the DIR diving philosophy. If you wish to give a non-DIR answer, please do not post it in this forum. If you do not wish your question to be limited to DIR answer, please ask it in another applicable forum.

If you wish to ask "why" DIR divers do not use computers, have at it.

Please read the sticky's at the top of the DIR forum.

From this point forward, non-DIR answers will be moderated.

Thank you!

I understand why reducing the amount of dependency on external pieces of gear i a good thing in a cave or overhead envrionment. I was just wondering if the dive computer folks came up with a computer that did things the way DIR wants it done, would it be accepted?

I honestly think that if the dive computer were a Cromemco with CP/M operating system it would be widely accepted by DIR. Especially if the case were painted black. Then - BECAUSE - the Cromemco dive computer could effectively be deployed as an anchor in case the diver were caught in a current.

Makes sense to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom