Why can't this work in an OOA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try it in a pool and then see if you change your mind. I have tried it while diving SM and it can be done but I would not plan on doing it when a cheap reg could be added so easily.

No reason to go cheap, but inexpensive is good. An old Mk2, Mk200, or Mk3 with a High Performance 2nd (an R190 will do if you don't mind plastic) can be had for under $50. New seats and o-rings can be had for under $20 if you can do the work yourself.

Im afraid you are a bit mistaken. In both cases the pressure of the gas being breathed will be the same and equal to the ambient pressure.

So, your saying that air escaping from a free flowing second stage regulator is exactly the same pressure as would escape from a scuba cylinder straight from the cylinder valve if there was no regulator?

I'm just trying to get your statement straight in my mind.

Methinks somebody's been watching Sanctum ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

So, your saying that air escaping from a free flowing second stage regulator is exactly the same pressure as would escape from a scuba cylinder straight from the cylinder valve if there was no regulator?

I'm just trying to get your statement straight in my mind.

As long as you're talking about the bubbles, it will always be at exactly ambient pressure.

If you stick you mouth over the valve outlet, that's a different story entirely.

flots.

So there is always talk about bail-out tanks, spare airs blah blah etc etc. For solo divers and for buddy divers.

So I ask you those o Gods of Scuba, Why can't I just take an extra tank with me with no reg on it and if im OOA just open the tank and little and sip the air untill i get to the surface. I feel like I could make a good funnel over the valve with my hand between my mouth. I could take two breaths close the tank exhale and ascend slowly then open tank take another two breaths and continue the cycle. Do I need a whole nother reg set??? Burst my bubble??

I would reccomend strapping on all your gear, running around the block a couple times (to simulate a possible underwater panic) and then jump into the deep end of the nearest swimming pool with nothing but a pony tank and weight belt and see how it goes...

I would reccomend strapping on all your gear, running around the block a couple times (to simulate a possible underwater panic) and then jump into the deep end of the nearest swimming pool with nothing but a pony tank and weight belt and see how it goes...
I think he should strap on all the gear, stand on one leg, and bark like a dog :)
I mean, all this is for entertainment anyway ... :)

Methinks somebody's been watching Sanctum ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Dammit Bob!!!! I was reading every response thinking no one mentioned it. So please edit your post so I can say what I wanted to and be first.

OK, here goes....

Why? Because this is not Sanctum.

There. :wink:

well at it, ditch the mask,

I think the air blasting out of the tank will take care of that.

---------- Post Merged at 08:23 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:20 PM ----------

Im afraid you are a bit mistaken. In both cases the pressure of the gas being breathed will be the same and equal to the ambient pressure.

Yes, the air bubbles themselves will be at ambient pressure in either case. There will just be ****load more of them coming right from the tank. And they will be moving an awful lot faster.

If you've ever seen a blown burst-disk in action (vs a free flowing reg) you'll understand just how dramatic a difference there is.

Can you? Sure and it might even work if you do everything perfect. But why? Regs are cheap and good buddies are damn near free.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom