Why can't I use a cheap $20 watch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had a Timex Ironman rated to 100m (330ft) for eight years with 400+dives in the past 3 years on it. For a semi-disposable watch, I can't seem to kill the thing no matter what I do to it. So far, I've replaced the battery once and just replaced the velcro band. I don't dive below 120'. When I was living in some remote areas, I bought a Casio as a spare in case the Timex went out (like when the battery died and it was 3 weeks before I could get to a reasonably civilized city with watch batteries). The Casio is 2 yrs old with about 50 dives and abused but going strong. I always use one or the other as backup (along with my gauges) with the paranoia of the unlikely event that my Suunto might crap out during a dive. I am hard on watches (I'm on dress-up leather Mickey #2) so I prefer affordable, reliable and easily replaceable.

Do a quick search on Sheck Exley ...(if by chance you are unfamiliar with who he is) ...and you will find that he always added an inexpensive watch (or two) to his dive gear. His personal brand of choice was Casio - sometimes a DW6300. I usually add an Armitron WR330 $20.00 at Target and is rated to 330 ft. I'll never know about the 330 ft but I do know it to withstand recreational diving depths and is a nice back up timer. I wish Timex still made the Helix as it also was also a temperature/depth gauge!

I once had a Timex Helix with depth/bottom timer & temp. - it only lasted about 25 dives...

I'm guessing you work on commission at a local dive shop? :rofl3:

I do work on commission at a local dive shop and boss would go ballistic to hear me recommend a Timex or Casio to a student - especially teenagers that loose/break everything. I try to steer them toward a good dive computer as soon as possible.
IMHO, common sense and safety (ie redundancy) outweights status symbol.

I didn't read the whole thread, so apologies if someone has already posted this info on depth ratings for watches. Anyway, FWIW:

Water Resistant: Will resist moisture from accidental splashing, rain, sweat, etc.
Water Resistant 30M: Will resist moisture and can be submerged, no swimming
Water Resistant 50M: Will resist moisture and can also be worn while swimming in shallow water.
Water Resistant 100M: Watch may be worn during snorkelling, skin-diving, and swimming.
Water Resistant 200M: (plus): Watch may be worn during standard scuba diving.
Water Resistant 1000M: Watch may be worn for deep sea diving

Water Resistance Tips and Facts

I don't know how much of it is warranty-related a$$ covering by the manufacturers, but it came as a surprise to me - I own a TAG (50m rating) and an Omega (30m); not that I would bother wearing either of them diving (they're not dive watches, and I have a wrist computer) but still I would've thought (based on the stamped rating) that they would handle more than the above

Before I got a dive computer, I dove a few times with a Timex Ironman. Then I pushed a button at depth, and it must have flooded because for a few days after that the alarm rang continually. Then it dried out and kept running for years. No more pushing buttons at depth.

I've used a low end timex for three years. I think I spent $29.99 on it. I've had no problems.

why not
i have used cheap 1960 vintage timers back up,Timex and many others for timers,love to see you are using a table to dive smart!
you will be a long time diver vs a dead SB diver trusting some computer to plan dives/decompression limits/bottom times/off gassing ! as in dive computer not the computer time watch just for bottom times,
good luck,
the less complicated work some times the best!
been Thru 1/2 dozen so called dive computers secondary to a bottom timer!must over dove em!

Wow after reading some peoples comments it seems that we all should be diving with nothing less than Rolexes. For those of us, like myself that dont have a trust fund, and have to buy all of our own gear.......

Earlier this year I was looking for a multi use watch. (I allways dive with my computer, but I use my watch as a back up) I found the Timex Expedition. Got it at target marked at $35.

It says its water resistant to 200 meters. I have had it for about 6 months now, never had a problem, keeps perfect time. It has approx 25 dives on it, been down to 80-85ft, not a problem.

ExpeditionŽ® Dive Style
Product Code: T49616EA

Armitron , water resistant to 165' ...

its been to 101' without incident,

$19.95 @ Target.

I have a Pulsar Ecodrive and my wife has a Citizen Ecodrive dive watch. The Ecodrive keeps amazing time, only losing about a half second a month.

We each dive though with a Timex Ironman Flix 100 lap 100m watch ($50) because the numbers are so big. We use the chrono feature as our bottom timer and for timing navigation legs. We've probably got 25 dives on our Timex's and have pushed the buttons at depth with no problem. The owner's guide says not to push the buttons though at depth.

Attachments

• Timex Flix 100-Lap.jpg
    Timex Flix 100-Lap.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 69

Back
Top Bottom