Why can't I use a cheap $20 watch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can use any watches, but the question is how much it is reliable.

I have used several watches from Wally-World, such as Timex, Athletic Works ($10). But, all watches have been flooded eventually.

You can get 200 meter G-shock at around $50 range. Based on the G-shock manual, group V, 200~300 meter marked watches are only satiable for the scuba diving.

Yes, all watches that I have bought from Wally-World weren't 200 meter rated.

So, go figure and don't waste your money and time.

Just my 2 bar.

I use this as my main data recorder, dive computer, wrist watch. I also use a Cochran Commander for visibility.

IMG_58481024.jpg

No. You can also use a cardboard box instead of luggage and a section of vacuum cleaner hose for a snorkel. (sarcasm!).

As a watch geek, however, I can think of MANY reasons to get yourself a nice ($150 to $300) Seiko or Citizen real deal dive watch:

- you will find people come up to you (seeing your dive watch) and ask you if you dive and therefore, you will get to share your diving stories with complete strangers. Some of which may be supermodels or Jessica Alba

- it will be tough as nails and go well with a wing tips or flip flops

- it will last for many many years and get dinged up in the process. You will then recall all your dive trips every time you look at your old-been-around-the-world dive watch

- if you have kids, it will be of a quality that justifies handing it down to them.

So there's my partial list of reasons you, as an adult, should not wear a $20 Timex. :D

(and don't get me started on those people that say "my cell phone tells me what time it is, so I don't need a watch!")

Now THIS is a dive watch.

mm300_b009Medium.jpg

I'm not being wise. My brother gave me a similar watch in 1979. The crown no longer screws down, and it only runs a couple of hours after shaking up the spring. Do you know of a place that can make it work, and watertight? It is a manly-looking item for sure.

Thanks / Stu.

I'm on my second Casio G-shock. Awesome watches. The first has gone into semi-retirement, donated to my father because the o-ring is no longer reliable for diving after about 3 battery changes.

I replaced it about 3 years ago with one of the new solar G-shock WaveCeptors that syncs up with Fort Collins every night. No battery changes, therefore no worn out o-rings to worry about. I got one for my dive buddy for Christmas two years ago and he loves it because of it's near perfect time.

That first G-shock dived with me for over 10 years, and cost me $59, sooooo $5.90 a year seems like a really good deal given I replaced the batteries myself.

I'm not being wise. My brother gave me a similar watch in 1979. The crown no longer screws down, and it only runs a couple of hours after shaking up the spring. Do you know of a place that can make it work, and watertight? It is a manly-looking item for sure.

Thanks / Stu.

Try "Jack@IWW" he's got a stellar reputation for refurbishing watches. If he can't do it, he'll tell you someone that can. You might have a valuable piece there!

Here's his website:

http://www.angelfire.com/blues/andcameysiww/Firstpage.html

I have used my $20 timex on more than 100 dives with no problems. The deepest it has been is 135ft. I call it my "drowning watch" because it is rated for 100 meters but the disclaimer states "not for diving". I figure if I am anywhere near 100 meters and not diving-I am drowning!
For the record I also dive a computer so the timex is just a backup bottom timer.

I've also used a G-Shock. No problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom