Why are retractors not dir?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jorbar1551

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Im thinking about purchasing a retractor and putting my spg on my left hip dring. i was wondering why its not dir to use a retractor? i know that the brass and stainless steel bolt snaps are basically unbreakable, but isnt a retractor pretty reliable when using for an spg?

I used to use one when I was first certified OW . . .until the damn thing jammed on me during a beach dive (because of sand/grit). Had difficulty unclipping it to read the SPG for the remainder of the dive.

Bolt-snap is mechanically simple --if it ever jams during a dive, just cut the cave line attachment. . .

If you ever decide you want to carry stage or deco bottles the retractor would not be practical, it would create more problems than it solves. DIR builds upon skills previously learned, when you advance to higher levels in your training you will have to re-learn a basic skill. Hope that helps.

Chris

Ever see what happens to retractors over time? I wouldn't call them reliable.

Jorbar1551:
but isnt a retractor pretty reliable

Retractors are not DIR because if you use them you will immediately die a painful screaming death.

Seriously, a retractor is not needed, and DIR divers don't bring along what they don't need. A retractor solves a non-existant problem. Unclipping and reclipping the bolt snap takes little effort with practice.

Also, if something were to snag on the retractor, it may not be immediately apparent to the diver as the retractor may spool out line when snagged. (If the retractor is equipped with a "locking mechanism" and doesn't immediately spool out line when locked, the lock may jam at an inopportune moment, thus adding another potential failure point.) With an SPG attached using a bolt snap, the snag would be immediately apparent. This is pure speculation on my part as I have never used a retractor for my SPG. But I have snagged my bolt-snapped SPG when I erroneously configured my left d-ring too low on my harness.

Mike

Isn't there also that little thing about not solving a skills problem (un & re clipping) with hardware?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom