Why are OW Cert dives over 2 days?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

underwater daphne:
somehow i didn't quite get that? dress code? students can make more money? students suffering from lack of cash? what course did you do?

I believe that Gary ment it like this:

[PADI] Charges more money,
[Students] get less training,
[Students]spend less time getting less training and
[PADI] speeds everything up,
[PADI Rushes] more students through and they get less training so [PADI] can make more money.

RBachman:
I believe that Gary ment it like this:

Actually, what Gary "meant" was to troll.

Which everyone should IGNORE.

SubMariner:
Actually, what Gary "meant" was to troll.

Which everyone should IGNORE.

Sorry, I didn't see Gary's post as a troll post. I saw it as a questionably worded and somewhat justified vent toward PADI.

I didn't mean to start such a controversy. I wasn't suggesting that the whole training should be shortened, I wasn't suggesting that the 4 dives be reduced, and I certainly don't suggest that we overwork the instructors to the point that they aren't able to do their jobs effectively. I just got my PADI OW cert, and I went to Puerto Rico for the checkout dives prior to taking a cruise. I live in Maryland. My dives were over two days (mornings). There were only two students doing the dives, and the dive boat (and crew) took out an afternoon group after we came back in. It would have been just as easy to do 4 dives on one day rather than 2 and 2. If you travel to do the dives, it makes a difference if it takes one day or two.

Perhaps its just me, but I didn't find the CO dives stressful. I did make full use of the tank (I was at a reef after all) in looking around and generally getting comfortable. Subsequently I did 6 more dives within the week on the cruise, each one offering new challenges, and all went very smoothly.

Sorry, I didn't see Gary's post as a troll post. I saw it as a questionably worded and somewhat justified vent toward PADI.

Why ... it's not a PADI issue.

The maximum 3 dives per day limit has nothing to do with $$, color coordination, or anything else except safety. First off, it's a limitation that's used by all RSTC agencies ... not just PADI.

Second, as has already been pointed out, the instructors abuse their own bodies during OW by making many ascents and descents. Pushing more dives into a day would cause an increase in risk to the instructor, and because of fatigue, would impose an unacceptable risk to students because of the instructor's decreasing ability to stay sharp and focused.

And finally, many people don't train in warm, tropical waters. They train in cold water, low vis conditions. They are bundled up in a bulky wetsuit and gloves, and loaded down with weight. These people may be having fun ... but after three dives their bodies and brains are getting a bit sluggish. Sure, you could probably push another dive out of 'em ... but at what risk that they'll make a mistake out of simple mental fatigue?

It's not worth the risk ... nor would the students learn as much as they will by having the opportunity to come back the next day refreshed and ready to go.

And ... as someone already pointed out ... many OW classes are five, six, or more dives.

The limit is there for valid reasons ... I think any instructor who wanted to push for more dives in a day would be doing their students a disservice.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It IS possible, and I have seen it done, to get a waiver from PADI to perform all four dives in one day. If you have one or two fit and willing students, you could do it in one long day... With a nice nap in there somewhere. Four dives in one day NOT teaching and I'm toasted.

Neil

Linthorn:
Why are the certification dives done over two days instead of 4 dives in one day? I can see the need for surface intervals, but the dives aren't very deep.

Just wondering

Linthorn

I just finished my OW dives and after doing skills my instructor took me fairly deep (40 to 47 ft) for 30 minutes or so. We swam around a quarry and looked at the submerged stuff as well as the fish. The 2nd dive of the 1st day included towing my instructor then doing the CESA from 27 ft. Then we did a skin dive to 15 feet and by that time I was pooped. I was in RG "G" after the 2nd dive and ready to call it a day. It was a lot of fun and I felt I did some real diving along with demonstrating my skills.

I did my OW down at Vortex. We was suppose to do 2 dives on Saturday and 2 on Sunday. But there was a snow storm about to hit up here in MO, so we asked if we could do 3 on Saturday and 1 on Sunday, then hit the road to try and beat the storm. He let us do it. I wish we could have stayed longer to get more dives in. Besides, we didnt beat the storm anyway.

As someone posted, you are really only allowed three logged dives in a day.

Plus, someone who hasn't dove before will not be used to the nitrogen intake and will get very tired very quickly.

I did three dives my first day, over 90 minutes of bottom time, and I fell asleep on the way back. Could I have done the fourth dive? Sure, but I wouldn't have enjoyed it, and I would have been even more tired, and tired means more mistakes. Not a burden you want to place on the diver in training.

Xanthro

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom