Why are OW Cert dives over 2 days?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Linthorn

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Why are the certification dives done over two days instead of 4 dives in one day? I can see the need for surface intervals, but the dives aren't very deep.

Just wondering

Linthorn

Im pretty certain it is to avoid people selling a "one day open water course". I know that PADI surveyed the review comitte a couple of years back about allowing ow divers in training to complete three dives in one day, and that is allowed as long as the last dive does not exceed 12 meters and there is no confined water training in the same day.

This was to allow people who do a resort dive and return to their LDS to finish the pool and theory and then do only one day at the lake or quarry that can be a significant drive away.

THe "No Confined in the same day" was a reccommendation I made to PADI to stop sales people and travel agencies selling a "One day upgrade" from resort diver to open water diver here in the resort areas.

you made that recommendation? cool.

and good as well. i don't agree with the "as quick as possible owd rush rush".

yep, there are definately limits. I dont always agree that it should take six weeks or so as some people do. Diving under good conditions is simple and easy to learn the basics, but one problem we have here, is that a lot of the time, the people that sell diving to tourists, are not divers themselves and are just trying to close the sale at all costs in a dog eat dog comission based travel industry.

I do like the way PADI has basically split up diver training into almost day by day sections. It means that the diver chooses how and when they learn. However, it also means that we should be VERY responsable in informing the divers of the limits of their certification (what ever level that may be).

If you leanr on a pretty, calm coral reef and want to dive in a deep dark quarry or the north atlantic, OF COURSE you need more training and or experience.

The thing about the RUSH RUSH RUSH thing is that it is often the client that wants that. That is one reason I like the CDRom option of training. It allows the student to take their time with the knowledge development and allows us to both maximize watre time and minimize course time during their valuable vacation days.

Let's see;

Charge more money, get less training, spend less time getting less training and speed everything up so we can get more students to get less training so they can make more money.

Hummmmm, this is sounding like a $$ based sport with the student not only suffering from the lack of training but the lack of cash as well.

Why is color coordination of equipment important in diving? The idiot instructor that eliminated a training step to help a student survive and replaced it with dress codes, which is total BS, should be tarred and feathered.

Gary D.

Linthorn:
Why are the certification dives done over two days instead of 4 dives in one day? I can see the need for surface intervals, but the dives aren't very deep.

Just wondering

Linthorn

When I first started teaching, PADI only allowed 2 training dives per day. Then they switched to 3. To be honest, anything more than that would really be stretching EVERYONE'S reserves, including the Instructor's.

For most OW students, it would make for a very long & stressful day. Just the right recipe for trouble.

It has nothing to do with "color coordination of equipment" or any other such nonesense. It has EVERYTHING to do with keeping the new divers fresh and focusssed.

I couldn't imagine it from the instructor's point of view. Each student has several ascent skills to perform once, if everything goes flawlessly. The instructor gets to do all of those ascents with each student and ends up feeling like a yo-yo as is.

Forcing all of that into only one day would be horrid for the instructor. My ears and sinuses ache at the thought.

Linthorn:
If you're only counting the time it takes to demonstrate the skills, then the dives don't take very long so I suppose they could be crammed into a single day. When I took the OW course (earlier this year), after we demonstrated the skills for each dive, we took the time to enjoy the rest of the air in the tank. Sure, we kicked up a bunch of silt, but we all got to experience "diving". Two dives per day was plenty. Any more would have been rushed and people would have been tired (instructors and students both).

I agree with Drew again. A student does one CESA, as an instructor with 2, 3 or more students I do a lot of them. By the end of three dives my butt as well as my DMs butt are dragging!
However I think the RSTC, PADI, SSI or whoever had the students well being in mind. My ears pretty much clear automaticly but the students often have trouble. I hate to put a student though it over and over in the rapid succession that would be necessary in order to do 4 dive in a day.
True you could do all the requirements in one dive but that would eliminate repition as a teaching tool.
As an SSI instructor we normally do 6 dives for certification.
If this makes no sense I apologize, it is late and I have just finished reading the 36 page thread on respect!

Joe

Gary D.:
Let's see;

Charge more money, get less training, spend less time getting less training and speed everything up so we can get more students to get less training so they can make more money.

Hummmmm, this is sounding like a $$ based sport with the student not only suffering from the lack of training but the lack of cash as well.

Why is color coordination of equipment important in diving? The idiot instructor that eliminated a training step to help a student survive and replaced it with dress codes, which is total BS, should be tarred and feathered.

Gary D.

somehow i didn't quite get that? dress code? students can make more money? students suffering from lack of cash? what course did you do?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom