DIR- GUE Why are non-GUE divers so interested in what GUE does?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you taken gue ccr training ? I did gue ccr1 with my Uwatec TEC 2g in gauge mode. I did use my Uwatec for ascending (time and depth).

My JJ ccr petrel2 was just my JJ ccr controller, but I didn't use it for ascending.

I also know buddies who have done ccr1 with perdix in gauge mode.

Nah I’m an rb80 diver. I assume you’re not doing real deco in that class so you wouldn’t really need it for decompression.

It’s all the avocado toast and latees
You clearly think I am younger than you, which I can guarantee I am not.

BTW, I am fully aware the BD was written 20 years ago, that’s why I used it as my example. You mentioned there being good reasons for ___x____ so I picked the low hanging fruit.

The aversion to dive computers still exists and I’d actually like to hear the contemporary “good” reasons why. Isn’t that what this thread is about anyways? :wink:
I was just in a tech 1 class middle of last year.(gotta go back and finish since I'm a cave diver and perfect vertical ascents are my mount everest). There was zero aversion to the computer. But we were taught how to gas plan and perform a dive without one. Is it a skill that I'm expected to use every time I dive? Hell no. If GUE mandated that I dive without a computer after class I'd still take tech 1, but I'd use my computer after the class. I don't think Jared is gonna track me down and spank me. Is it an awesome trick to have in my back pocket? Hell yeah. Its nice to be on a cave dive for a few hours and look at my computer and realize that the math in my head was pretty damn close.
I can't speak for the past because GUE has changed alot recently compared to previous years. I actually used to dislike GUE for a while, until I learned more and met cool GUE divers. But in recent times, there is no absolutely you can't and shouldn't use a computer statement.

Let me guess you skip GUE EDGE too?

:rofl3:
100%

Sometimes it's necessary (complex dive or deco, new buddy), but if I'm diving with a good buddy we are already done with everything EDGE covers before we're ready to hit the water. No need to sweat my nards off to go over stuff a few more times.

Side note I actually don't like gueedge at all. I absolutely 100% see it as something developed with an excellent goal in mind and as a way to help make sure everyone's on the same page. I think in some situations it's absolutely critical. My issue is it become more like humming a tune in your head than an actual helpful exercise. I see newly minted GUE cave divers doing the edge and half the team is in lala land paying zero attention. I think it stems from doing it over and over again in class it becomes like a dull ring in your head more than something people pay attention to. But that is just my current opinion as a fairly newly minted initiate into the secret society. People with much more experience than me may disagree and have very valid points.

I have never been mandated to do anything even remotely similar to that.
ESAs. Emergency Swimming Ascents. Most instructors do them all at once in serial fashion at the end of an OW dive, and it's a horrible example to set. There's no need to do them except horizontally in the pool. Better to emphasize gas and buddy management strategies.

No, the standards don't say you have to do them this way, but they don't say you can't either. The standard is only to protect the various agencies who perpetrate this dangerous exercise.

This is a ridiculous take.
Is it? It's as bad as people doing a gear review without using the gear. Fortunately, this thread is about why outsiders are so interested, and I can safely answer that.

100%

Sometimes it's necessary (complex dive or deco, new buddy), but if I'm diving with a good buddy we are already done with everything EDGE covers before we're ready to hit the water. No need to sweat my nards off to go over stuff a few more times.

Side note I actually don't like gueedge at all. I absolutely 100% see it as something developed with an excellent goal in mind and as a way to help make sure everyone's on the same page. I think in some situations it's absolutely critical. My issue is it become more like humming a tune in your head than an actual helpful exercise. I see newly minted GUE cave divers doing the edge and half the team is in lala land paying zero attention. I think it stems from doing it over and over again in class it becomes like a dull ring in your head more than something people pay attention to. But that is just my current opinion as a fairly newly minted initiate into the secret society. People with much more experience than me may disagree and have very valid points.
Locally I see GUEEDGE people reiterating that they have their hood and their fins on - yet they have no idea what to expect on the actual dive profile. Either because they've never done the site before or they just don't know how to articulate a plan when they havent done this exact dive before. But they are definitely not the only divers who struggling with the whole "plan your dive, dive your plan" concept.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom