Why are more men inclined to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i think generally speaking women are more risk averse than men and less comfortable with technology

diving is also not considered "femenine" by the mainstream culture

all in all, lots of little factors steer women away from diving, among them lots of instructors who are very "male" in their approach to instruction and can turn female students off the sport

of course, that is not to say that there aren't tons of women divers; they're in the minority, though

Spady:
On a recent dive trip something occured to me...

I have met TONS of couples who dive together.
I have met TONS of men who have significant others who don't dive. So many men have remarked to me "you're so lucky your wife dives - I wish mine did." When I ask them for the reasons, they site several reasons such as claustrophobia or fear of sharks, among many other reasons.

However... I have NEVER met a woman on a dive boat who has a male significant other who doesn't dive. (except for one case in which the guy had unstable coronary disease and had to give it up, which is obviously a good reason).

This seems like such a shame to me because some of the BEST divers I've been diving with are women.

Why the discrepancy?

Probably for the same reason there are more males in the military, riding motorcycles, mountain climbing, etc. I do agree that "some of the BEST divers I've been diving with are women." I have been diving with Hillary Hauser, a former SKIN DIVER editor, one great diver. Hillary would like to bail off the boat and get "geared up" on the way down, I was in a CF trying to keep up with her.

H2Andy:
i think generally speaking women are more risk averse than men and less comfortable with technology

diving is also not considered "femenine" by the mainstream culture

all in all, lots of little factors steer women away from diving, among them lots of instructors who are very "male" in their approach to instruction and can turn female students off the sport

of course, that is not to say that there aren't tons of women divers; they're in the minority, though

Interesting problem here: The only people on this forum are either a) men or b) women who dive. There is likely no first hand representation of females who don't want to dive...unless someone turns over the keyboard to their non-diving friend, wife or girlfriend. We (male and female) are only stating what we have heard or what we believe. Someone should coax their non-diving female aquaintance to chime in...Maybe we could help "fix" her.:wink:

Spady:
The 'junk yard dog' comment was pretty funny!, although it seems to me that most dudes who dive (at least recreationally) are pretty laid back. I think there's a lot less machismo in diving than some people think. Maybe there's alot of that in tech diving, but I don't know.

-Spady

I must be diving in the wrong places!!!!

Seriously, I have met some really nice folks diving. I think the men I have enjoyed diving with most are the "old guys". Maybe it is because I can keep up with them and there is no pressure of anything beyond the dive I can just relax and enjoy the dive and the kind of father me and look out for me since I am new. The guys my age want to impress gals and show them how strong they are and how fast they can swim!!

I do find that I enjoy diving with guys that either a lot older or a lot younger. It seems we can get on with a great dive and have a good time without all the guy/gal stuff getting in the way. Maybe I will meet someone through diving that might become an SO someday, but for me diving is a lot about just relaxing and not having any pressure, meeting nice people, and leaving the cares from the rest of my life behind for a little while.

Anyway back to the point of the thread:
--most all women think they look bad in a swim suit
--women think they look even worse in a wet suit--you would think it would act like a giant full body girdle and make you look smaller but it doesn't it makes you look fatter by a large degree
--women don't like being out numbered by men
--women are get more afraid than men--drowning, sharks, snakes, eels, pond or lake muck and gunk
--the gear is hard to carry (even for some men)

H2Andy:
...... lots of little factors steer women away from diving, among them lots of instructors who are very "male" in their approach to instruction and can turn female students off the sport

I agree. The testosterone flows freely in scubaboard. The machismo, cocky, "I am better than thou" attitude that spews in the DM and instructors alike on the threads...

It makes you want to recruit more folks from our happy culture ... That will be the day when all DM and instructors wear pink suit and fluffy dive caps...

fisherdvm:
That will be the day when all DM and instructors wear pink suit and fluffy dive caps...

i already have mine in the closet, waiting for the day...

Spady:
Kim,

That's rather interesting. Is diving marketed differently in Japan?

yes...we see that here with the Japanese too. 2 to one I'd say.

leopard spots!

dude!

:wink:

who are very "male" in their approach to instruction and can turn female students off the sport

I wouldn't bet the ranch that turns the single ones off.

Single women dive to find men.

Married women or women who have a man often give it up. (I have noticed)

Also, people with good marriages dive together, so-so relationships...they would rather have the time apart for relief. Exceptions...of course. (andy)

And testosterone target centers in the brain account for 80%. (risk...adrenaline, etc)

Back
Top Bottom