Why a corded light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gcarter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
More battery power and burn time is obvious.

Any other compelling reason?

Thats about it. As the technology improves I suspect we will be seeing more and more cordless options. Until then I still love my can light.

I think when you look at the total package...corded lights are obsolete.

The non corded options are getting more powerful, have excellent burn time and are a ton cheaper than the corded versions of the same quality. You will always be capable of “longer” burn times with can lights, but when uncorded lights are running for 4-6 hours already...and are brighter than the top of the line can lights of 5-10 years ago....I see no reason to fight the inevitable.

less drop risk, rather convenient on things like cave dives where you want an uncluttered hand for a myriad of things. You can do it with a handheld, but with a canister you can just let it go and it hangs from your neck
Uhm, put a string on your cordless light?

Cordless lights are heavier on your hand, since they have the battery in the light head. I far prefer a canister light. In addition to the greater power (good for punching through low vis water to signal your buddy) and burn time, they are just much lighter and more comfortable to use.

Sure, new technology lets you get more burn time and power with a cordless light than you could in days past, but it's still a tradeoff. A very light cordless light is not going to be nearly as strong or have the burn time as a canister light.

Also, if you need to get rid of it quickly to do something with both hands, they are easy to slip off and clip off, and you can't lose them if you miss your clip.

And finally, if you are using a long hose primary setup, the canister makes a nice place to loop the hose..!

I am one of those divers who went from a canister light to a handheld light. I love it am do not see myself ever going back. There are some things I do not think are optimal though.

1 - If I need to remove the light to have my hand free for any reason, it is much more of a PITA to need to clip it to my harness than just looping it over my neck and letting it hang. It takes longer and the possibility of dropping it is a concern.
2 - The handheld is both bigger and heavier. Both are extremely noticeable on your hand.

I swapped to cordless for cave. Never looked back. Now have 2 primary lights, one as backup. Bungee cord around wrist in case I need to drop it. Big benefit is I can buy new led elements as technology improves and install them myself. Costs peanuts. Not heavy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom